Author Topic: AwE POOT  (Read 2952 times)

Offline 1442

AwE POOT
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:48:49 pm »
I give up on Andices for a while. At least until tomorrow.
I've broke several lately during notching. Now I cant even get a preform ready for notches.
the one rock had Andice wrote all over it >:(

Offline 1442

Re: AwE POOT
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 10:55:50 pm »
This tab had some cool color and was going good, then SNAP  :o  AGHHHH!!!!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 05:11:44 am »
Awww, darn!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline rebsr52339

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 05:44:42 am »
Do you have any idea "why" they both snapped? Internal fracture, where you hit it, too much force.  :(  Results I got like that was from a "to big a sledge hammer" Looks like nice rock. Now for some smaller points.
REB

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 10:39:49 am »
You had some good-long flakes on the preforms – definitely looks like workable rock. Both are a little dull (not shiny) in the pictures; do you think heat-treating might make them more susceptible to indirect torture?

H

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 11:23:40 am »
Very carefully placed threads of "det." Cord, maybe?  Of course, you have to ce careful not to hit it too hard, or stand a long way off :-K >:D (lol)!  Couldn't resist!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline 1442

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 11:33:23 pm »
rebsr52339 The first one I think I hit 0.00047" too high and about 1/8" to the left of where I was aimin. The leftness caused it to intersect with the previous flake scar and dive through the piece at an angle to get the crack started and it just kept going.
The second rock was kinda brittle and had some cracks that I thought I worked out but the snap was actually two cracks that decided to get together all of a sudden when I struck right next to the one near the base.

NonBacked  both rocks where raw. The first one was grainy and heat may have made it more knappable but the second one was brittle and I think heat would make it more so.
I like to work raw rock with direct percussion. Shiney rocks and indirect percussion are not things I do very often.

Hawkdancer   That might work. I'll stand way back and just throw the bopper at it.