Author Topic: Help, I’m trying to make a gas burner.  (Read 4128 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Help, I’m trying to make a gas burner.
« on: March 30, 2019, 10:05:37 am »
I have a BBQ valve with 1/2 psi. Do you think this is big enough for the job? Or will I need more gas flow? I plan to mount this on 10” of 3/4” pipe.
I’m going to be putting this in a very small forge, I plan to use it for small to med knives. Thought I’d ask before I buy the parts I’m missing.
Thank you. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline KHalverson

Re: Help, I’m trying to make a gas burner.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 01:01:43 pm »
most venture burners use 20-30 psi  regulator.
10 inches of 3/4 black pipe is too long.
ive built a few burners and 8 inches seems to be the magic #.
use a .035 mig welding tip for orifice.
or p.m me your address and ill send you 1.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 09:37:42 pm »
When I built mine everything I read said that grill regulators wouldn't work very well.  I ordered a regulator and hose off Ebay.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 07:57:38 pm »
Thank you for the replies. I thought I was on to something with the dead bbq. I’m glad I asked before the build. I’ll be shortening the pipe as well. I appreciate the kind offer for the tip, but I’d hate to take it when I believe I have a tip. Thank you!  eBay great idea,
Thank you guys. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 02:10:52 am »
10”- 3/4” for a gas burner is just fine. But I agree getting the proper regulator could make all the difference in having eyebrows and not lol
My smaller forge gets used quite a lot more than my 20” forge and it only cost me about $75 in materials. More than half was for the burner.
Few pieces of all-thread, angle iron, some fire brick, and a single burner. It’s been plenty for forging hunting blades and broad heads, even making up Damascus billets to store away for later.

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 12:22:55 am »
I use a small two-brick forge for more than 90% of my forging.  The burner for it is a Mag Torch large pencil tip torch head.  I've had people tell me this isn't enough heat to do anything, but I can do a whole lot with it, actually.  Built it to tide me over until I had a big forge built, but that big one only gets used for large projects or straightening steel.

I've got a video of a project up on YT and there's a good shot of the forge in the bit about heat treating at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld1LROiBL9U

I can make and heat treat a 6" blade with this little forge.  It may be dinky, but it isn't a toy.

You don't always have to make a big burner.  I got mine from Amazon for about $20. 

-Patrick

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 01:29:13 pm »
Super easy to build, 1-1/2"-3/4 bell reducer , 10" 3/4" nipple, and another bell reducer. One 3" long 1/4" nipple, coupler and cap, and a .035 mig tip. Drill and tap the 1/4" nipple for the mig tip line it up centered down the 3/4" nipple and tack in place . I used gas rated Teflon tape the yellow one, the reducer at the forge is 3/4"-1"
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 05:23:55 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 01:30:57 pm »
This forge gets to forge welding heats pretty easy

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 08:23:51 am »
Why is the pipe so long from the forge to the reducer? How do you control the airflow on your's, others I've seen have a sliding plate on the reducer?

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 02:01:10 pm »
DC I built this from a YouTube video and I don't have all the answers for your questions. I built several different ones and this simple one worked the best, has been very efficient and suits me. All I can say if it's not complicated enough build one that is lol. I like the kiss system