Author Topic: Newb in need of advice...  (Read 3798 times)

Offline DC

Re: Newb in need of advice...
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 05:07:50 pm »
Those are either small clamps or huge recurves. Can you take a picture with a ruler in the frame. 3/8" is kind of thin for a limb. You might have to make two more and glue them together.

Offline DanB

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 06:54:44 pm »
They're small clamps, only 12" overall length. From the floor to the top of the bending jig is around 5.5".
Is it worth trying to make just the two work, or should I bite the bullet and try to make two more?

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 07:13:49 pm »
It looks to me like you are trying to follow the profile of a fiberglass recurve. That won't work with wood. 3/8" is just so thin for a limb and the recurves are just so big unless I'm seeing something that isn't there. If you doubled it up you would still have those huge bends. Any chance we could see a picture of the whole bow?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 07:51:56 pm »
+1 for DC. how I understand it (and correct me if i'm wrong) (and this might be syhas not recurves) but when you pull it it flexes out, and once its flexes out it turns into a lever. A lever to help control the bow flexing. if that lever is too small then you wont get anywhere, and if its too big... well you got a big lever for a small(er) task and you wont get as good of a bow. Dan i'm a newbie here too so im with ya and learning from things too! but seeing how you already tried to recurve a bow... you a step ahead!  :OK
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 07:56:08 pm by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 07:59:01 pm »
Wow! just looked at the picture and if looks like you have a lot of grain runoff on that back! if that's the case... wear goggles when you pull!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:03:17 pm by Deerhunter21 »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 08:07:43 pm »
Welcome aboard, Dan!  These folks have a wealth of knowledge to share!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 06:11:33 am »
Yikes, what happened to the back of your bow? When using boards, a good grain pattern is a must. Be super critical of what you pick up.

gutpile

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 08:03:51 am »
such a aggressive curve on a board bow seems doomed.. IMO... must be a perfect grain no runoff to even attempt... better to try this on a stave with a clean back...gut

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 08:23:08 am »
its a good time to get staves! white woods you can dry fast, read the 1st TBB in other woods, good luck!

Offline DanB

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 01:42:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone, figured out where my math went wrong. Going to reduce the curve on my jig and try again. Probably going to take about six inches off the length of each limb too.
Good catch on the grain runoff, I did not notice that. The other limb looked good, so I just cut the other one out without paying too much attention.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me everyone, it's greatly appreciated!

gutpile

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 11:29:47 am »
danb if newb.... look up perry reflex... and glue you up a bow like that... from a board this will make a fine bow..plenty of performance... not too complicated.. lil tricky to till but with the eyes here you will be fine ...plus it will make a outstanding bow...just a thought... gut..

gutpile

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 11:33:20 am »
dean torges... hunting the bamboo backed bow... is the best video on this type of glue up..doesnt have to be bamboo ...gut