Author Topic: Heat bending hickory?  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Heat bending hickory?
« on: April 01, 2019, 03:55:46 pm »
My next day off I’m going to be heat treating another hickory bow. But every time I bend I’m some reflex while heat treating it pulled right out on the next trip to the tree. Going right back to it’s original shape. Do I need to heat it hotter, longer to help it keep the reflex, or is this just a chharacteristic of hickory. The last couple I did, I heat treated before first brace and a second time at 22” draw. Between the two heat treats they picked up a lot of draw weight. But went to their original shapes right away..

So any tips on getting this one to hold the reflex?

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat bending hickory?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 03:58:48 pm »
Hickory need to be steamed to keep it's bends. I've had some luck with dry heat(heat treating) hickory but for more substantial bending steam it the way to go. How dark did you get the belly when you heat treated it? I like to get it a dark chocolate brown for good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 04:18:05 pm »
 +1what pat said
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 04:36:06 pm »
I’ve never tried steam bending hickory. I may try it this time. I typically take it to a milk chocolate brown color. I’m going for a heavy draw on this one, but would also like to get a little reflex in it.

Kyle

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 04:41:37 pm »
I have some beautiful dog legged hickory staves that always go back even after multiple steamings in a steam tube. I have always had trouble correcting hickory sideways but it bends fairly well putting statics in and keeps the bend.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 09:16:59 pm »
And once you've steamed and bent the wood and given it a few days to dry you can heat treat the bend to set it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ohma2

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 08:54:05 am »
Steam it well and set with dry heat always worked for me.