Author Topic: abo style point?  (Read 9301 times)

Offline paulc

abo style point?
« on: April 04, 2019, 04:30:46 am »
I guess most of the points found from history were made with stone and bone right?  Copper boppers and copper pressure flakers are a "recent" introduction...modern introduction?  I have the best abo preform I have been able to make and I wanted to try and make a point from it that was "accurate" for the style but I guess most any point would be appropriate...does that make sense?

Paul

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: abo style point?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:10:33 am »
So you’re asking if using copper means it’s not abo? Well, you can make an abo-STYLE point with modern stuff but an ACTUAL abo point means using the same tools as they did. Like how a clovis is still a clovis no matter how you make it as long as it’s the same design but it only becomes abo if you go full primitive with bone, wood, antler, rock, etc. atleast, from my understanding. ???

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:21:48 am »
I guess I was/am wondering if point designs changed as copper was introduced...And when/did native americans switch to copper if ever?  I would guess even in the 1600's and 1700's it was all still stone and bone knapping right...even into the 1800's?  Which would mean all those points/styles would have been done abo....P

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:46:04 am »
If there was a switch in tool technology, it probably occurred as the natives came in contact with the white man.  I haven't done enough research to say for sure metal tools came into use in knapping at any particular time, but trade points became a standard weapon as soon as there was a supply and technology chain.  On the other hand, guns also came into use in the same time frame.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 01:33:17 pm »
Supposedly, a few   old points have been found in the Michigan area with copper remains on them . Raw copper nuggets have been found on top of the ground in Michigan and I am pretty sure there are some hammered copper artifacts that are way earlier than contact. I don't believe copper was to wide spread at that time. Hmmm some food for thought. ;D Bob