Author Topic: deciding on what the problem is....?  (Read 8883 times)

Offline paulc

deciding on what the problem is....?
« on: April 05, 2019, 08:34:08 am »
So how do you decide the problem knapping is the stone and not you?  Or your bopper is subpar?  And when is it just you ;-) ?  Tried last night to take another crack at doing stone and moose billet on a fresh piece of keokuk.  After 30 min of banging away I had made my salad plate piece of stone the size of maybe a baseball and it wan't meaningfully thinner than when i started...so frustrating.  Step fractures and crumbled edges everywhere...

I guess I know that the antler billets wear out but really don't know what that actually means/looks like.  Stone hammers don't wear out I guess but certainly some stones are better than others..?  And I guess the stone hammer hardness might depend on which stone you are banging on?

Last night my edges either didn't break at all or they simply crumbled... And I broke my "almost preform".... >:(  Paul

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: deciding on what the problem is....?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 05:28:57 am »
Well, it sounds like you’re knapping while angry which can really throw you off your game. Of course, it’s always easier to get away with blaming the rock >:D

Offline aaron

Re: deciding on what the problem is....?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 08:20:39 am »
maybe it's platform preparation?
sounds like you need to get together in person with someone near you
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"