Author Topic: Bought a bow with a little string follow  (Read 7817 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Bought a bow with a little string follow
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 03:17:18 pm »
This isn't my first recovery job, it is pretty easy to do. Like I said I may add bamboo, I have bambooed two or three bows that were lost causes and made surprisingly good bows out of them.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 03:21:54 pm »
I had a hickory bow take set bad before. So i just flipped it arpund, belly for back, and shot it till it took set that way, then flipped it again. It was neat, then i bamboo bellied it, made the bamboo the back, and it still shoots fine. Hickory is veraitile like that. Id bet it would look neat with bamboo running up the fades like that, and shot backwards. Its what i would do,  seeing as the back has no compression problems yet, and its nicely reflexed if you flip the bow around.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 04:12:16 pm »
Yes, the bow has quite string follow but it is not destroyed. What I would do is to heat treat the belly to remove string follow and add a little bit of reflex then tiller it and see how it does. Nothing to lose a lot to learn

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 05:42:18 pm »
I reflexed one limb and toasted the belly, the picture shows the string follow limb on the right and reflexed limb on the left. I just heated the other limb and it is cooling now.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 07:00:44 am »
Toasted, I may work a little more near the fades, this bow is above 70# right now.

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 07:17:35 am »
Good job! Now it's time to tiller and cross your fingers.
BUT DO NOT HURRY, heat treateing have made that the wood lost a lot of moisture, you have to wait, maybe even a pair of weeks. If you have access to a moisture meter it would be great, if moisture below 8% don't touch the wood, between 8 and 12 would be more or less ok though many people says hyckory benefits from low humidity. Meanwhile you can make another bow

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 05:25:49 am »
I have a moisture meter, hickory can stand very low M/C, 6% is not to low. It is going rain for the next week so I suspect my hickory will rehydrate well. 

Offline turmoiler

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 06:48:44 am »
Way to go then

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 08:13:18 am »
Wow.  So the difference between the string follow limb and the recently heat treated limb is about how much?  8, 10 inches?
I've never seen a bow with that much string follow. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 12:15:55 pm »
It was probably stung by an owner that knew nothing about selfbows and left strung its entire life.

I posted a thread about selfbow etiquette on the stickbow site, it was surprising how many guys had no idea on how to treat a selfbow.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 01:15:09 pm »
"this bow is above 70# right now"   whoa...... (A)  looks like you are saving that puppy,  be interesting to see the final outcome.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 06:13:57 am »
I put it aside for a few days, it has a suspect knot near the tip of one limb so I glued on one long tip overlay to cover it but haven't done the other end to match yet. I got side tracked building bamboo arrows from some shafts from china, these are really good shafts.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 09:01:31 am »
Ignore this comment, just putting a bookmark in here so I can find my way back later. I am going to want to follow this closely!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2019, 08:29:51 am »
I am actually doing two recoveries, this one is an osage bow I made 20 years ago and was found in an abandoned storage locker. It may have been left strung for up to 20 years and had a piece of electric fence wire for a string. It was in the same condition as the above bow, today is crack filling day, lots of superglue.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2019, 09:15:55 am »
Eric,  I like that word "recovery"  nice to bring those bows back to life,,