Author Topic: Need advice on bow weight!  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Part time Archer

Need advice on bow weight!
« on: April 08, 2019, 02:58:42 pm »
I m 40 years young and shooting a 40 lb bow thinking of going up to 60 lb after some working out.  ;D I would like to maintain 60 lb until I'm old and grey how realistic is this I know mileage may vary but I usually shot about 300 shots a week.  (SH) ?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 03:15:01 pm by Part time Archer »

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Need advice on bow weight!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 03:46:54 pm »
shoot both bows,,
dont over do it on the 60,,
if you gonna shoot a million arrows, shoot the 40
if you gonna shoot one arrow at a time shoot the 60,, till you see what feels good to you,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 04:58:58 pm »
Also, if you shoot every day or so you can maintain the heavier bow weight. I used to shoot 55# to 60# regularly but stopped shooting for a while. Now I shoot 45# to 50#. I'm almost 69 now and was probably 65 when I slowed down. If I had continued shooting every day I'd still be shooting the heavier weight...maybe!   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:31:13 pm »
Might consider increments, 40 to 60# is big jump!  50# would a bore gradual move and allow you to build up strength as you shoot.  I have shot 45# - 50# since I was 18, now with both shoulders repaired and 60 more plus years wear and tear, I don't think I need to increase my bow weight.  Good luck and make the move gradual!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 12:26:56 am »
The old bow hunter in the 20’s wrote that they would shoot #100 bows so when they went hunting with their #75 bow they would be more steady handed.
Could always try that route. I have a few #75ers that I shoot and then when it shoot my #55-#65 bows it’s definitely easier and more steady.
Kinda like in baseball when they slide the weight onto the bat and take a few practice swings.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Part time Archer

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 07:25:22 pm »
Thank you everyone ! This is a great forum.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 12:09:31 pm »
One consideration is how much use, and abuse, your body has had up to age 40.  Hundreds of thousands of pushups or straight bench  may have set some damage in the shoulders already.  Seems from reading others comments, both here and other sites, that individuals vary in ability to handle, long term, above 50-55#'s.

I "plus one" the above comments. Around now, mid spring, I start really practicing again.  By end of season, January 31st, I can pull 45 pounds like it is a toy.  I am 53.  However, I need to go slow, mindfully.

Going higher, once again, on draw weight, for flatter trajectory when desert, grassland hunting.  I will have to be slow on building up to volume as I have ignored warnings and had archer's elbow before. I have some exercise bands that I pull when I can not get to the hills to practice.  That helps.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2019, 07:39:23 pm »
Apparently Howard Hill was shooting 80# bows daily.  There again my physique was no less whimpy than him in those days.   But 80#  that is quite stiff.  Argh.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Strelets

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 09:47:06 pm »
It is quite realistic to expect to be shooting 60+ lb at 60+ years. I am 68 years old and I regularly shoot English longbows of 65 to 70 lb. I know an archer who shot a 65-pounder until he was 74, when he came down to 55 lb. We are both of slim build, and neither of us do any training other than shooting.