Author Topic: evil stave  (Read 1751 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

evil stave
« on: April 09, 2019, 03:23:27 pm »
Stick Bender sent me this last year,, wow,, Im out of shape,, this thing is evil tough,,
thats all I gonna do today,, i think I will seal the back any way,,,
you can see the reflex in this thing,,wow,,
glad you guys been talking bout splicing,, I think I gonna cut it down the middle and splice it together,
I could make two short bows,,but thought it would make a nice deflex reflex spliced,,thanks again to Stick Bender for cutting this beautiful peace of osage for me, ,hope it dont kill me,,, :)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: evil stave
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:35:25 pm »
Love those staves with natural backset!  Nice!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:06:05 pm »
Nice looking stave!  You might try waving a sage smudge stick over!  And leave a wee nip of potcheen for the little people! (lol).  I had a heck of a time de barking a shagbark hickory stave that I got from Kyle Roberts, took me about 3-4 hours!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 09:11:55 am »
Seems to me that the more ornery the stave in chasing off the bark and sapwood, the better the bow turns out for me. When I find myself running out of foul language and just grunting in guttural barks and howling I got a great bow in the making!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 09:18:26 am »
thank you guys for the support,, I need it on this one,,
I will try the sage and stuff too,, I need all the help I can get,,
I thought my hachet was dull, but its really sharp,,
most people dont realize how much work just to get to a starting point,,
I know Ritchie did alot of work just finding the tree, cutting it and getting it out of the woods,, and splitting it to a nice stave,,, lot of work before roughing out the bow can begin,, no wonder it can be intimidating hoping to do the wood justice,, )P(

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 10:22:18 am »
Well have fun with that one Brad that tree was the only hedge tree in the area it was buried in a white wood thicket but even from the beginning it was a tuff tree got my chain saw stuck twice cutting it had to use one of the back ups to free it and almost got it stuck  the rings on that tree where blood red and juicy in the dead of winter & all the staves that where cut from that tree took nice natural reflex and the rings early wood felt like its glued on with epoxy was that one the same ? I keep telling my self I'm going to come back and make a bow out of one of those staves but some how start another plastic bow...lol  I'm looking forward to seeing your bow D/R or bendy !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 10:38:33 am »
let me get it cut in two pieces and I will decide if I gonna make two short bows or splice, got to get the epoxied on sap wood off first,, :BB