Author Topic: AGATE AND CHOLLA CACTUS KNIFE  (Read 17106 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
AGATE AND CHOLLA CACTUS KNIFE
« on: April 08, 2008, 05:36:10 pm »
Well here is something I have been working on...in the little spare time I have had lately....working 12 hour nights for over a week straight!! It's an Oregon Agate Blade thats 4 3/4" long and 1 1/8" wide ....I made the Handle out of a Dead Cholla Cactus  (pronounced choy-ya)...I found while out Turkey Hunting on Opening Day this Year....I made the Bolster out of Hickory and Birdseye Maple from Yooperland....and hafted the whole thing together with Gut and Hide Glue....She's a really sharp and workable knife...not a Display Case Beauty

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

Re: AGATE AND CHOLLA CACTUS KNIFE
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 06:00:58 pm »
Dang Yankee not bad fer a Yooper ;) I have a birthday in May in case ya forgot ::) :P :-*
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 06:01:54 pm »
Cool knife Yankee. I love the cholla handle and the bolster on the end. That would make a good thumper for someones head.   The blade is a beauty also.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 06:51:25 pm »
Thanks Guys....that Cactus is some tough stuff too...even dead it will get you good ...if you don't watch out!!...It almost looks like Rattan or Wicker Furniture....but its tough as steel when dried... and the Blade ...you can shave with it....I don't know how it will hold up to Skinning though....but I think this one is going to the Ole Man for His Birthday in July....when I go Home.....I guess I am going to have to learn to make Sheaths now   ::)  Because I know that He will be carrying this along with His Walker Colt....when He goes Hunting in Montana and Wyoming!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 12:26:25 am »
im more interested in the bow in the background!!! 8) 8)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 01:20:41 am »
im more interested in the bow in the background!!! 8) 8)

well you are going to have to wait a bit more on that Story!!! I want to put in on...but not this Month and run against Justin's Bow....would not stand a Chance!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 07:10:56 am »
Just beautiful,thats all I can say, ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ber643

• Bernie Dunn's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 10:05:59 am »
Beautiful knife, Yank! It made me recall a guy who lived on the Coastal Hwy in CA (back in the '50s) and made (to sell) beautiful things out of Cholla cactus "shells" - it's neat stuff. Great looking knapped blade too.
"Hunters Are People Too" (My website Premise)
Bernie Dunn
Coastal NC

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 12:11:15 am »
Thanks Guys...and as long as I can find the Cholla...I will keep using it too...it makes some awesome handles...and they are nice to look at...too many Antler ones out there...I like to be different.... I am going to try some Wild Grape Vine next and see if it has any possibilities....
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 12:15:24 am »
Very cool ! You do some nice work Yankee  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 03:11:56 am »
Very cool ! You do some nice work Yankee  :)

Thanks John.... I really like the Early Ways of doing things....and I was brought up on a Cornish Farm...learning the Old Ways....Horse Drawn Farm Equipment...Hammer Forging Steel.. Log and Stonework....and am still trying to stick to them the best I can...thats why I am trying my Luck at Stone Knives....and Axes....maybe next I will learn to knapp Points!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »
That's a great looking knife.Those sharp stone edges hold up fine until you try cutting bones or making the mistake of trying to pry something loose and snap the blade off.I made my first scabbard and just used a micro-blade knife and sinew.got her done.These days,I use artificial sinew and a stitching awl to do it faster and the art. sinew is more weather resistant.(Rains alot up here.)  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline possum

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 03:44:03 pm »
That just happens to be the coolest knife I have ever seen... even more than the ones I have made. :o  Awesome!

possum
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 05:20:50 pm »
Very nice as usual brother.. you are quite a craftsman... love the handle .. Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 07:04:14 pm »
Well yer all around purdy handy yankee ;D! That looks like a combo dagger/huntin blade - nice blade. I've got some Cholla I picked up in NM, may have to give it a try..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.