Author Topic: Reflex when drying  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Reflex when drying
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:49:28 am »
So at the marshalls i bought two staves, one from clint and one from another vendor that was hickory. The guy that i bought the hickory from said to put its bark on the wall for it to get reflex. Can anyone double check this?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Reflex when drying
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 08:52:14 am »
I have never heard of that,, maybe clamp it in reflex as it cures,,???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 10:23:36 am »
Generally hickory and other woods will deflex as it dries with the bark on. I'd rather let it dry flat by binding it to a form and add even reflex later. It may reflex naturally if left on it's own but uncontrollably.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 03:02:28 am »
I have no experience with hickory.
But you can induce reflex or deflex while the stave dries. Clamp it like Brad said and seal it on the belly side. The back will now dry earlier and pull the stave in reflex. Can be done with every (fresh) wood.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 03:16:49 am »
It will either reflex or not no matter how it's placed.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 04:58:59 am »
I would take the bark off the hickory and seal the back. I have found that bugs, at least here in WI, love hickory bark. I lost over a dozen staves to the little devils.

As far as reflex, I think I have found that most of my staves reflex a bit more when I split them green, peel and seal them. Could just be me though.

If you work it down some, it can be clamped to a form like said above and will dry close to the shape of the form. Reflex can always be added later.

Good luck with your new wood.

Kyle