Author Topic: Introduction and Osage Recurve 54.5'' 41@27  (Read 16929 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Introduction and Osage Recurve 54.5'' 41@27
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 09:26:07 pm »
I started with asymmetrical bows many years ago. That's how the books taught it. After a while and after I got to know "primitive" bowyers I learned different styles and methods. That is when I realized my eye perceived better tiller with a symmetrical style bows so that's what I build. Good for you for going out of your box.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2019, 10:00:59 pm »
Welcome aboard, Erika!  Very nice job on that bow!  These folks are very interesting as you may have figured out after watching from the wings for 5 years!  Keep up the good work!  Some or them even have a sense of humor! >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hamish

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2019, 12:57:41 am »
A fine bow indeed. Keep em coming.

What will your next bow be?

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2019, 04:06:03 am »
Welcome to PA!

What a great little bow! That's a seriously impressive amount of set considering the overall length, draw length, and the fact you added recurves to that strain!

I've only completed about 10 bows, but you're right about the wealth of knowledge that these folks have!
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 06:09:00 am »
Well done.  I bet it shoots great.  I'm not a fan of asymmetrical bow but yours looks good
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline airkah

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2019, 07:08:28 am »

What will your next bow be?

Nothing too exciting... I have a couple staves right now that are still losing mc, so I think next up is a peruvian walnut board I picked up on a whim a couple weeks ago. I've never tried using the wood before, so it will probably end up a mid 60 inch, 40ish (40-45 is about all I can pull before I struggle to draw it) pound draw weight to feel the wood out.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2019, 07:27:02 am »
I think you did that osage proud. :OK

Offline Woodely

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2019, 10:11:55 am »
Great job on that bow, patina looks really nice.  Some asymmetrical bows seem to shoot better, been smoother and better cast.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2019, 02:04:25 pm »
Welcome home! That is one sweet lookin bow.... great work.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline kbear

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 03:02:43 am »
I have read that the Japanese Yumi is intentionally asymmetrical (extraordinarily) to greatly reduce hand shock, and make for a smoother shooting bow, cos the shock wave from each limb does not meet at the handle. There may be something in that?

All of my bows are slightly asymmetrical, only by an inch though. I did accidentally make one that was 2" asymmetrical (a molly I layed out wrong then straight to the band saw!). That was a challenge to tiller but it did shoot nice.

I really like those limb wraps. Did you put them there purely for aesthetics, or to cover something? Either way, they look great.

Good job! Keep em coming!

Offline airkah

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 05:43:29 am »
I really like those limb wraps. Did you put them there purely for aesthetics, or to cover something? Either way, they look great.

The wraps are something I've done a few times, sometimes to support a limb, sometimes not. The first time I did them it was to hide some underlays out by the tips on a bow and I just really liked the look. If its just aestetics I'll keep them pretty close in on the inner third of the limbs, so the extra weight won't slow the arrow speed down so much. On this bow its just aestetics. My family was over looking at some bows about two weeks ago and they responded really well to similar wraps so I decided to do them on this and really liked the look.

It has the added bonus of if I ever forget its asymmetrical, I won't try to shoot it upside down.  :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 05:53:09 am »
I really like the hemp(?) handle wrap. I started doing that trying to hold together a double spliced(belly and core) tri-lam I built that kept coming apart. Hemp is very strong and I like the positive grip it gives in all weather conditions. I saturate it in Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone) which seems to make it bullet proof...and I think it makes an attractive, classic grip.
 Again, very nice bow, Erika. Well done.   :OK    8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 06:03:19 am »
A surprisingly nice bow, not easy to pull off as well as you did.

My only suggestion would be to pull your elbow straight back when you draw your bow to align the arrow with your frame on release. I realize that a picture taken to emphasize the drawn profile might not be the same as your actual shooting style.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 06:29:56 am »
Great Job! your doin great! I look forward to your next bow!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline okie64

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 07:19:04 am »
Good looking bow and nice tiller!