Author Topic: Front profile  (Read 5693 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Front profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 08:15:30 pm »
I understand that the stave very often determines the type of tiller.

Be that as it may,  if you want to make a pyramid  bow would you want to tiller it elliptically or would you tiller it to have a more circular tiller? I vote for circular to cut down on set.

To me it makes sense  that the near handle, wider wood should bend more giving the bow a more circular tiller.

Sure one can tiller a stave with parallel limbs to have a rounded tiller. Might be a bit shocky (too much wood working) ? Not sure as I've never done it.

Interesting discussion.

Jawge

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:19:47 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lonbow

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 02:42:11 am »
I think I know where Dells "celtic" bow design comes from. There were several bronze age bows found on the Lötschenpass in Switzerland with this bow width layout. I wonder why these bows were designed like that. Neolithic bows show narrower bow tips.

lonbow

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 05:37:38 am »
Is the choice of the front profile purely aesthetic? I realise each one has its own tillering needs but parallel, leaf shaped, pyramid etc. Does one do different things than the others. Just keep it to straight bows, I realise that recurves like a little width at the end to counter twist.

My bows are more about function than aesthetics but looks also play a part as well.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 07:39:14 am »
Shooting a heavier arrow,,,the larger tips would not effect performance as much...at least that's what the guys said in some discussions lately,,.may be they left them to be more durable?

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 08:52:25 am »
So far as I see things, everything we do with these wood bows is done in small measures with the goal of making small gains. Too much of almost any good thing brings with it diminishing returns. Too much reflex, too much deflex, too narrow, too wide, too short, too long. The list goes on. I see lite tips that way. They look more refined and can add a bump in performance. But some of my favorite bows have heavier tips than others. I can’t tell much difference personally. To a point.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2019, 09:23:53 pm »
I think the leaf profile should determine the tiller in that it's a d bow in the middle,flaring out to a flat bow and then down to Molly style tip the way I have built a couple out of heat treated elm.the big thing is make the cross section transitions smooth from what I've seen.this design also takes very little set.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.