Author Topic: Question on short osage bow width  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Hilongbow

Question on short osage bow width
« on: April 16, 2019, 08:23:10 pm »
Aloha all,

I'm looking for a little input. On an osage bow that is say 52" in length, 50# draw at 26", mostly straight or ever so slightly reflexed, and bends all the way through, what would you consider a good starting point for the width for minimal set? I'm not planning to have a narrow handle/fades. I tried doing a search but most of what I saw was for longer bows with rigid handles.

Mahalo!

Offline okie64

Re: Question on short osage bow width
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:40:54 pm »
An inch and a half would be fine if it bends through the handle. You can narrow the handle to an inch or so to make it more comfortable to shoot but make it thicker through the handle to keep it from bending too much. I usually have 26-27” of working limb on my bows and I rarely go wider than 1-3/8” .

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:47:10 pm »
+1 okie64. 1.5- 1.75 if you want extra insurance.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:49:02 pm »
If it’s pretty decent Osage, you should be able to get-by with 1.25”. Keep both sides even (as early as possible), and don’t over-pull it (go beyond 50#) during the tiller process. If you can get a longer piece, it'll be easier to keep the set to a minimum.
H

Offline Hilongbow

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 09:57:49 pm »
 I was hoping to hear an answer in the 1.125" to 1.25" range (I just don't know what Osage can handle yet). Do you think if I make it 54" and the tiller is good I could safely pull off 1.25"? I've got plenty of room to work with so I can go wider. I just like narrow deep bows if the wood can handle it. Guess I gotta factor some leeway in for a couple small knots too. PS I've only built a couple lightweight selfbows, but a bunch of laminate bows. I'm ready for a big boy selfbow now

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 11:53:55 pm »
I'm watching and listening - I got a narrow beam Osage on the bench now!  Just got to get back to it!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hilongbow

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 01:50:28 am »
Update: after taking the sapwood and some of the really thin outer rings off I can see that there will be a lot of small knots, so I'm thinking I'll go up to 56".

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:17:18 am »
1.25" middle 3rd, outters tapering to .5"  Made more than a few.............
                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 07:01:32 am »
Maybe this thread will help you out....http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,64560.msg907497.html#msg907497
Particularly the 1st page when Rich is giving me pointers. 
I would start at 1.5" or a little more and use the width to tiller in your shape like Rich describes.
Check out Rich (half eye) and Don's builds.   
The osage bow I was originally getting help on turned out close to an 1" wide, 59" NTN, ~60 lbs @ 28".  Not as short as you are looking at, but not too far off considering you are looking at less weight and less draw length. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 07:43:11 am »
Since u r going shorter,,,start wider as suggested..if ur set is good,,,,narrow,,...if. Taking set,,,leave wide..go with what makes the best bow,,,,not what u like,...u will learn to like it ;)

Offline Hilongbow

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 11:34:44 am »
Thanks everyone, this advice is much appreciated and helps me apply a lot of what I've read to my plan for this stave. I will leave it wider to start, and can always narrow later. Ben, thank you for that link. I had read that thread multiple times before but couldn't find it recently. Some good instruction in there. If it likes being wider then like Brad said I'll learn to like it.
Aloha