Author Topic: hunting quiver?  (Read 16181 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Re: hunting quiver?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 11:10:50 pm »
i made a quiver out of raw deer hide. it was fleshed and dried, all i did was rub some wet ashes to "try" and soften it up but all it did was color it. but it can be loud. i put some sheepskin in it. quiet it down. but it is strong and will protect your arrows nicely.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 03:04:19 am »
 Long as it stays pretty dry,it should stay stiff.Gets wet you can stuff it full of newspapers until it dries out. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 06:44:57 pm »
When you make a back quiver, many of the problems can be solved by: putting some deer skin (with the fur on) hair-side-up in the bottom, making it smaller than some of the store bought ones (holds only about a dozen arrows... not six), and use an adjustable strap (an old belt cut and sewed on so you can re-buckle it to the proper size works best for me). I like raw deer skin, fleshed and stretched. It's stiff, but not hard and thick. Also, sew it into an oval shape, not round. A piece of soft leather sewn around the mouth will quiet andy rattling down.

Such a quiver has served me better than anyhting else I've tried, and is quite appealing to the eye as well ;).

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 07:16:31 pm »
yeah it works well, my prob. for my from lack of experience is that its almost flat, i didnt sew it up circular or oval , but shell work for her purpose. ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Kegan

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 08:32:52 pm »
yeah it works well, my prob. for my from lack of experience is that its almost flat, i didnt sew it up circular or oval , but shell work for her purpose. ;D

Flat works well too- it's just slightly harder when withdrawing an arrow, and may cause more rubbing of broadheads on each other.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 09:26:58 pm »
oh yeah makes it a bit harder, the arrows bunch up a bit because the strap is a bit off to the side.... mines made out of belt too, just doesnt have the buckle...
Modern Day Tramp

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 10:28:01 pm »
For hunting, I like using a plains style quiver, as mentioned earlier. This year, I'm making a quiver and bowcase set from deer hide. For targets, I'll use a back quiver, or just go with whichever quiver I'm using at that time.  ;)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 11:07:31 pm »
sayin i get a deer this year, i think ill make a plains style too sean, look forward to your new quiver and case. ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Titan_Bow

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 08:20:59 pm »
I bought a mini cat quiver this year and really love it.  Last year, I hunted with a quiver I made kinda like the GFA quiver.  I took an old kwickee quiver and attached an adjustable strap to it.  It works really good because you can wear it like a back quiver, or rotate it down to your side when in heavy brush.  I like the cat quiver better though because it protects the fletching, but a fletching cover could solve that. 
  I am planning on making a quiver this year out of elk hide that sortof mimics the mini cat quiver.
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 01:33:14 am »
whats a cat quiver?
lets just shoot it

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 07:53:23 pm »
I hunt a long way from the vehicle, and butcher and pack most critters in the field.  I needed a large pack capable of hauling meat and carrying arrows.  I built this one and mounted it to the side of a Flying Circle hydration pack.  Works great.  In inclement weather I cap the fletching cover with a sandwich baggy.

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 08:11:16 pm »
thats awsome man. i aint ever hunted like that before but i'd love to. in 3 years i'll be 18 and hopefully out of the house, and makeing a week long hunt in the moutians is on the top of my priority list. prolly gonna get one of you guys to go with me, i aint ever hunted the moutians.
lets just shoot it

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 09:55:30 am »
i would help recurve with your hunt but ill be headed out west for a while guiding, ill be out in a little less than 2 years so if ya wanna come out there you "might" be able to find me! ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline david w.

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 11:32:19 am »
hunting out west is one of my dreams, someday :)

Huntertrapper i lilke your sig. lol
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

bow kid44

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 10:18:40 pm »
nice quiver apex