Author Topic: Bought a bow with a little string follow  (Read 7773 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Bought a bow with a little string follow
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2019, 10:45:47 am »
Nice recovery job!  Good luck on the Osage, but I suspect you won't need more than a touch of tlc!  (A complement to your skill level!).  What superglue do you use?  My first diabolical thought was: "can we flog the dude that left it strung that long, with the fence wire attached, as we flog?" >:D. I wonder how many bows are out there awaiting rescue?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2019, 10:47:34 pm »
I will be watching this one too, see if I can apply some of these methods to some butchered first attempts of mine  >:D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 06:36:10 am »
A friend came over, looked at my bow and said he had one just like it and that it was a Jimmy Taylor bow. Jimmy had made over 10K bows and knew how to make a good bow but was a shady character when it came to his business practices.

In Jimmy you couldn't find a more generous man or a bigger liar, he was a bit of a conundrum. He bilked a lot of people out of money before he died. Had he been honest and dedicated to his customers he would have probably been rich from his bow making endeavors, he could really crank them out. It took him 15 minutes to make a wood bow, a day or so to make a fiberglass lam bow. He would ship 100 bows at a time to Europe, supply most of the catalog retail sales and took over production for Dan Quillian's Archery Traditions bows toward the end before Dan shut him down for his shady dealing.

Jimmy, one of a kind;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 07:25:53 am »
I bought my first hickory backing strips from Jimmy at the Southeastern Trad Championships in Elberton GA many years ago. Every time I saw him he was in buck skins. My friend Allan Brown bought lots of Jimmy's hickory backed kids bows to sell at Trad shoots. I never got a bad deal from Jimmy but I was aware of his reputation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameron

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2019, 05:30:39 am »
I thought it was braced and I was trying to find the string.  ;D
The bow is allready there, you just need to remove the wood that is hiding it.