Author Topic: Anvil search!  (Read 9974 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Anvil search!
« on: April 19, 2019, 06:20:17 pm »
My first anvil was one I made out of a railroad track. I flattened the top hardened it and the polished.
Now my brother in law is itching to up his forge game and is on the lookout for a solid at least 35pounder.
The only thing I ever end up purchasing is horse tack for my forge and the occasional knife

Carrol is all out of the anvil I currently use and no way in hell will I give up my track.

I’ll take suggestions of where to find one or what my other options are. He’s coming up on 5 years sober and his family and I are hoping to surprise him with a nice setup. Today I finished building a good 9x12 forge without him noticing 😂😂😁😎 and then hid it under the crawl space🤣🤣

Ready....GO!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Anvil search!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 06:36:45 pm »
I have seen quite a few at estate auctions.   Anvils aren't cheap, that's for sure.  I've bid on a few but they went for more than I wanted to go.   Check out the website auctionzip.co m.  You can enter your zip code and search nearby auctions.  There is usually a list of items for sale and pictures.  I've also seen them on craigslist.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 07:58:06 pm »
Yeah I’ve checked around those. Nothing usable:(
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 10:30:46 pm »
Might try the flea markets and antique stores.  Anything out of your area would be rather expensive to ship!  I am sort of looking for one, as well, but it is a long way from here to you! (f) >:D  (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 01:55:37 pm »
If it’s shipped freight it would probably be like $16 😁
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 08:50:12 pm »
You could get a nice farrier anvil new for a couple bills
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 06:27:33 pm »
The ones I’ve called about have been out of stock :/
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline TRiggs

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 06:48:14 pm »
Do you really need a anvil ? The reason I ask is because you can get a milled piece of steel from a machine shop that is outta spec's for real cheap then have it heat treated and hardened yourself.
American Blade Smith Apprentice

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 11:50:10 pm »
Do you really need a anvil ? The reason I ask is because you can get a milled piece of steel from a machine shop that is outta spec's for real cheap then have it heat treated and hardened yourself.
Nah not me. My brother in law. But I found one.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 08:08:24 am »
Harbor freight has one 55lbs. $62.99.  Good luck!
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 04:39:06 pm »
Harbor freight has one 55lbs. $62.99.  Good luck!

Those aren’t made with the proper steel. Do a ball bearing test on it, you’ll see. I don’t recommend em.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 06:46:51 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Bryce. I’ve got a piece of railroad iron about two feet. I seen you said that you hardened one. I’d like to learn more on how you went about doing that. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 02:23:58 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Bryce. I’ve got a piece of railroad iron about two feet. I seen you said that you hardened one. I’d like to learn more on how you went about doing that. Ed

Of course. First I heat cycled it a bit so it was soft enough to add a 1” hardy hole and mill it flat.
Then I took the oxygen acetylene torch to the top to get a good deep heat. After awhile the whole top of the rail was glowing and was no longer magnetic so I grabbed the bottom with some gloves and oil quenched it. Ball bearing and file test worked out good. Polished the top and I was all done. Mounted it to a stump so that the distance from my fist to the ground was the same as the final height of the anvil.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 10:11:39 pm »
Enlighten me as to the ball bearing test, please - the file test I am familiar with.  Forging interests me, but I don't think I want to invest too much money - time, I got!  A piece of railroad tie, I got. (f) >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 01:38:19 pm »
What you do is take a 1” or slightly larger ball bearing hold it about a foot above the anvil, drop it, And it should bounce right back in your hand. The principle behind it, is that they are both so hard that very little energy is lost, bouncing the ball right back where it came from.
Clatskanie, Oregon