Author Topic: How to fix this splinter/crack?  (Read 4902 times)

Offline grouse11

Re: How to fix this splinter/crack?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 03:17:20 pm »
I believe my biggest mistake was making the handle stiff. A bendy handle would at least alleviate some of the problem. I have pulled the bow on the tree about 25 times today to 25" (I slowly worked up to it) and haven't heard a thing. The weight hasn't reduced at all either. I'll excercise it for about a week and if still no signs of failure, I will launch a couple arrows through it.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 03:20:51 pm »
just go for it,,  (-P launch some arrows,, >:D

Offline Hamish

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 05:23:26 pm »
Marc, The limbs could work a little more around the fades, but the back would likely still be intact if the pins were compensated for properly. Basic bowyering principle ignored.

Offline grouse11

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 05:32:16 pm »
Hamish, just curious, how much should I leave around the pin knots? Larger knots I have always left a good bit but I typically will just follow the grain which is very evident on the larger knots. The pin knots close to the edge in the picture are small enough that the grain does not deviate from the limb edge at the distance that I cut. Unfortunately the knot that failed was not near the edge so who knows!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 06:30:55 pm »
well as long as you dont cut through them,, they should be ok, maybe he means the bow could have been wider or stiffer in the area of the pins, ,, or designed with them in mind,,? not sure,,,, hard for me to tell from pic, but maybe the limb is working too much in that area,, (SH)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 06:42:31 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 06:47:23 pm »
Marc, The limbs could work a little more around the fades, but the back would likely still be intact if the pins were compensated for properly. Basic bowyering principle ignored.

Actually I was thinking more mid-limb but yes a bit more near the fades as well
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com