Author Topic: Bow silencers  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Bow silencers
« on: April 19, 2019, 06:15:58 am »
I've seen some bows with fur silencers on the limbs verse the string. Most I've seen are like decoration pieces , not actual functioning bows but im curious. Is this an actual thing that natives did? You would think it would slow down the limbs.
Has anyone tried fur silencers on the limbs versus the string.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow silencers
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 07:08:43 am »
Some Native bows had fur wrapped at the string nock. Weather for decoration or functional silencers I don't know. I think string silencers is more common with modern bow hunters trying to prevent their quarry from detecting them when the bow is shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodely

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 09:10:30 am »
I had a REcurve and installed fury synthetic silencers on the string and it silenced my bow by 90%.  I paid $8 for the real fur ones and they lasted after the 4th. release. They work try them out.   :)
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 09:18:31 am »
You can tie a rubber band to the string as a silencer. Anything to absorb the excess vibration will work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 01:58:21 am »
I always put Muskrat strip silencers on all My Bows  (SH) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 03:43:39 am »
I have used and made string silencers before. I just wasnt sure if there was something to fur wraps on the limbs

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 05:59:18 am »
 Jake,
           Just decoration as far as I know on the limbs...I believe these are Mink and almost weightless...I do use Seal skin fur silencers on my hunting bows string and they make them very quiet as far as string twang/vibration...
                                                                                                                                                       Don
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 06:14:18 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 07:34:35 am »
I use wool fleece or wool yarn for silencers for their water repelling properties.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 11:54:52 am »
Using a flemish twist string made of dacron will keep a bow pretty quiet too. Dacron tends to be quieter than fast flight, and flemish twist is quieter than continuous loop. You may find that with the dacron/flemish combo you dont really need silencers.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 11:34:10 pm »
I use whatever fur strips and then spray tham down with fly fishing floatant to add extra water proofing.  On my glass bows I will use 550 para chord sheathing tied in. After a few shots they become perfect waterproof quiet puff balls.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 07:11:57 am »
Jake,
           Just decoration as far as I know on the limbs...I believe these are Mink and almost weightless...I do use Seal skin fur silencers on my hunting bows string and they make them very quiet as far as string twang/vibration...
                                                                                                                                                       Don

That looks like about a dozen bows I have made, right down to the red arrow pass marker, decoration and slight recurve to the tips! I wonder how many of them are still alive and running around the Rendezvous circuit anymore?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.