Author Topic: I need help with a terror stave  (Read 4676 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: I need help with a terror stave
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 05:12:20 am »
Try to cleave it, you need to split it in order to work it so you'll have to cleave it at some point, also it will reduce any chance of shakes developing. How well it cleaves, or not, will show you exactly what you have to work with.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 09:20:56 am »
Ryan,, it will make a bow,, just take your time and you will get it shooting,,
I suggest taking the easy way ,,,( really no easy in bow making)
the dog leg is gonna add another issue you really dont need,, just cut it off and start to tiller what you have,, simple bend in handle,, when you get a better stave make a longer bow,,
I am 6 ft tall,, I shoot bout 25 inch draw,, accurately,,, once you get used to it,, no problem,,

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 03:38:53 am »
So I cut the dogleg off right, now when I split the stave, guess what was on the other end... GRUBS. Thankfully they’re far enough out towards the tips that they’ll be removable but it’s definitely gonna limit the bow to 34ish pounds of draw. Luckily, that’s all I can pull right now.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 09:58:40 am »
stay positive,, glad you got rid of the grubs,, :-M

Offline Msturm

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 12:39:30 am »
I have made quite a few bows out of guava in Hawaii. It is a great bow wood but pretty hard to work. I think you made the right move cutting the dog leg off. I have never had any luck splitting guava. I always just make 1 bow out of the stave so i use a hatchet to cut it to rough shape.  Strawberry guava (the choice bow wood in Hawaii) will not check. So I kept my freshly cut roughed out staves in my car in 90+ degree makaha sun to speed dry them. I am not sure what kind of guava you have there though. Grubs are a bad sign.  Before you go any further check the entire back for little black pinholes. if you find them quit while you are ahead and go get another stave. In my experience your bow will lift a splinter there. every time.  Guava really likes being toasted on the belly too.
Good luck!
Msturm

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 01:44:35 am »
When I found the grubs, they were dead. It seems they tried to infest the tree earlier but the wood healed over them. I just split it to make it easier to work with, it’s the dry season right now so it should dry out relatively fast because we haven’t had rain in 3 months and anywhere here IS the 90+ degree car. In fact, you could fry an egg on the pavement.

Limbit

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 02:54:27 am »
On a side note Ryan, if your temp is that hot down there, it isn't a bad idea to take Msturm's advice and put it in the car for a bit. In fact, do it with any guava you collect. It is a seldom known fact that heat above 130F for at least 30 minutes will effectively kill any insects living inside the wood ( the heat needs to be the same completely in and out of the wood for that amount of time so it will take much longer than 30 minutes). Of course, most people would cringe about the idea of it since it would likely cause the wood to check, but guava doesn't really check or warp. Cause it to dry out super quick as well if you don't seal the ends I guess.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 03:14:00 am »
Limbit
My parents use the car to get to work... maybe the attic might work