Author Topic: I need help with a terror stave  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

I need help with a terror stave
« on: April 20, 2019, 07:46:48 am »
   So I went to get a stave two days ago and I’m almost done debarking it. It currently 68” long and about 2.6” at its widest and 2” at its narrowest point. It’s only kinda snakey until your reach the dog leg. This piece is strange in that it’s mostly heartwood and denser than any other pieces I’ve used. If only it were straighter. Should I go with a flat bow or perhaps a Manny-type bow?

https://imgur.com/a/IoH06wd

P.S I also need help uploading pics properly
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 08:56:59 am by Ryan Jacob »

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: I need help with a terror stave
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:51:52 am »
Really wish I could help Ryan. I've got nothing though. Never even seen that type of wood.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 08:57:20 am »
Oh yeah, it’s guava by the way

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 08:59:23 am »
I've only worked guava once with a stave Mammy sent me and I made a flat bow from that. Is there enough wood to remove the dog leg? If so, I'd do that to start with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 09:06:23 am »
well I agree remove the dog leg,,
I have not worked with that wood so hoping I can give advice that will apply,,
seems like you will have to go with what the stave will give,,,
if you need it longer as you tiller,, then splice extensions,,
not sure how that wood does with sinew ,, but that might be an option if you are going to make a bow shorter than expected,,
also bend in the handle might be good,,

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 09:36:38 am »
PatB
Cuting the dogleg off would give me 55-6 inches which would be enough for a bendy handle. I might go with that if it’s absolutely necessary. Only thing is that it might throw the tips out of alignment.

bradsmith2010
I’ll take what I can get. But, I can’t do splices because there isn’t any good glue here. Sinew doesn’t agree with the climate either.

I just tested an end cut and it sinks in water. I hope that’s a good thing. I knew I should’ve cut some black palm instead. If I do decide to keep the dogleg, Im gonna need LOTS of help along the way while tillering.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:18:37 am »
I don't remember if I had to use heat to correct the stave I had, I don't think I did. The wood is strong and heavy and some of Manny's bows were incredibly crooked and still worked well for him.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 02:24:11 pm »

https://imgur.com/a/IoH06wd

P.S I also need help uploading pics properly

When you go to copy the code use the one under “Linked BB” then just copy and paste in the topic font window
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 03:56:02 pm »
that would give you a 25 inch draw with bendy handle,,
that is enough for nice power stroke,,

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 04:14:54 pm »
Never worked that wood so not much I can add, but on the pics.  An alternative...a free program called Gimp.  I and some others use it.  Simple to use.  Open the program, drag and drop in the pic.  Click scale image.  A pop up window opens with the dimensions of the pic currently.  In the window type in 900 by 1200 (that's what I choose for size).  Now go to File and choose export.  Add the ext .jpg to the file name.  Hit export and another pop up opens.  click the box that lets you preview the size.  Now just slide the dial until you are under 200 kb.  hit export and your done.  Picture ready for PA.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 05:50:13 pm »
Thanks for all the inputs aboutthe bow and the help with pics. I think I’m gonna let the wood dry out a bit more before I cut anything off. Hard to put wood back on.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 06:23:04 pm »
Keep an eye on the stave. If it start's checking you may have to expose the belly to let some moisture out. If you knew which side would be your bow you could reduce the belly to floor tiller stage without harming it. Then bind it to a 2x4 or other form so it will dry without twisting or warping.

Limbit

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 03:44:19 am »
I would honestly look for another stave or cut 3ft worth of the cleanest wood, cut in half with a bandsaw and splice it. It would be calling it close since it is not all that thick either. Another thing with guava is that there is no need to remove the bark. It will pop off without any repercussions as you tiller. It is flaky stuff and doesn't cling to the sap wood and tear out fibres. It will do more damage than good trying to remove the bark from a stave like that. It takes guava a long time to dry and I am not sure why this is. On the plus side, it doesn't check or twist while drying, but you'll need to give it well over a year in your climate before getting to work on it. Do you have crepe myrtle there? It is pretty much identical to guava in working properties and the tree itself looks incredibly similar as well. It also makes a good bow and is significantly easier to find a clean stave from if you are having trouble finding a good guava stave.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 04:55:37 am »
Limbit
I’ve got neither a bandsaw nor good glues here. Found out the hard way that hide glue doesn’t dry for squat here. Ants just love to eat it too. I’m debarking it because I don’t want any grubs in the wood. The last time I left the bark on, it was infested in 2 weeks. I got no crepe myrtle here either. If I had better wood, I would use it, but the black palm wouldn’t fit in the van and both my tamarinds have bee hives, allergic. Also, I’m not asking to much from the wood. I can’t pull much past 40# anymore due to lack of practice and injuries.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 04:58:23 am »
If it won’t make a bow, I’ll just chuck it in the burn pile by the way, got neither the ability nor permission to trade, no point in spending time on a failed project.