Author Topic: rock collecting Saturday...  (Read 2800 times)

Offline paulc

rock collecting Saturday...
« on: April 22, 2019, 09:11:05 am »
Spent about 8 or 9 hrs total driving around east GA looking for chert using a research paper from the 60's as my "map".  Was not very productive but I did get to see some cool stuff and a part of the state I rarely spend any time in.  Gonna keep looking of course but I will need to do some more work ahead of time and maybe I'll do more collecting and less looking.  Maybe 9 pcs of chert that a better knapper could get a point out of-the rest of what I found was almost chalk like layers and layers of poorly glued sand.  All in all a pretty neat day as long as collecting chert/flint wasn't the main objective of the day :-)

Paul

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: rock collecting Saturday...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 11:42:30 am »
Looks like a couple possibilities in that last picture
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline paulc

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 12:26:42 pm »
It's all I can do to NOT skip out on work and try and knock a point out....P

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 04:33:27 pm »
it would probably work better heat treated. Where are you at in Ga?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline paulc

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 05:04:53 pm »
Islands outside of Savannah...I did put the stone through the turkey roaster over night at 200 to drive out moisture w/out popping any of it, then on Sunday I worked the heat up to 450 by maybe 8pm. Left it at 450 maybe 2 hrs before unplugging it to cool overnight.

Should I try to get it hotter?

Paul

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 03:25:22 am »
If what you did doesn't help, then try heating it a little longer. Right now it's a guessing game.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 1442

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 11:00:53 pm »
that looks a lot like what I gathered at Kentucky Lake once while we was fishing there.
It's like hard dry mud and abrading would just grind it away its so soft compared to good chert.
I just worked this out of one the other day thinking it was something else when I grabbed it.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:27:52 am »
Don't know if it'll do but still pretty dang cool, Paul. 
1’—>1’

Offline paulc

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 08:56:19 am »
Of the rock pictured on the chair this is all I have left...I think part of my problem is I don't know when to stop ;D   There was one piece with a pre-existing hinge that I just had to pop off but it took most of the stone iwth it.  Really would have been a functional arrowhead with the hinge and now I got nothing...oh well. Live and learn.

The two pieces on my knee may yet have a point in them, they're still big enough if I can get them thinned down some more.  Not sure if I should cook them more, they do fracture okay, pretty linear so I am getting flakes off them.  But the stone is not as slick and glass-like as a lot of what I have purchased has been...would more time at 450 help?  Or should I get them hotter?  Or leave well enough alone-they do flake but its pretty tough working them.

thanks, Paul