Author Topic: Chuck disassembly  (Read 2101 times)

Offline DC

Chuck disassembly
« on: April 22, 2019, 01:32:32 pm »
Does anyone know how to get this thing apart? It's a 1/2" chuck from a Dewalt cordless drill. I want to modify the teeth so it won't make such big marks on arrow shafts when I grab arrows with it
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 01:53:06 pm by DC »

Offline DC

Re: Chuck disassembly
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 01:52:40 pm »
I managed to get the base off. It just pried off. But now I'm trying to get the jaws out. I can move them up and down by spinning the chuck but they won't come out. I don't see a snap ring or anything holding them in.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 02:00:28 pm »
Maybe not made to come apart or alter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 02:15:34 pm »
Just a thought, you could open it up to 3/8" and run a grinding bur down its throat.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 02:42:11 pm »
Just a thought, you could open it up to 3/8" and run a grinding bur down its throat.

I tried that and it just ate the stone. It looks like the teeth in the jaws are hardened inserts. I used a Dremel stone and I don't think they amount to much but the stone is gone and the teeth don't have a mark on them.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 05:23:19 pm »
I'm thinking it's pressed together from the ends and because the one end is cone shaped I can't grab it with anything so I can pound it apart. I might have to weld something on the cone so I can grab it. Maybe I'll look for another one first
Anyway, that kept me entertained for the day ;D ;D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 06:52:25 pm »
It's amazing what king of info you can get on YouTube...do a search
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 07:06:24 pm »
I did. Lots of stuff on how to change a chuck but I only saw one on how to disassemble one and it was a different make. Sometimes it's hard to hit the right search terms though. There seems to be an art to that.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 07:27:42 pm »
You dont need to modify the chuck to accomplish your goal. Take a one to two inch piece of metal or plastic tube with an inside diameter same as your shaft material. Slice the tube long ways, sand the cut to make a small gap between the formerly mated surfaces. Slide the arrow into the tube and chuck on the tube. The tube will close up some ( hence the sanding of the gap ) and hold even pressure all around on the arrow, no marks.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 08:23:36 am »
I've been doing that but since I use bamboo it's all different sizes and I needed 2 or 3 collets(?). I kept loosing them. They would also crush after a bit probably because of the thin brass tubing I was using. The best method I have found so far, although it's a bit time consuming is to chuck the shaft in the lathe and drill an 1/8" hole in each end. Then cut a couple of 2" pieces of 1/8" wire and CA them in. I cut the wires so that they weight 50 gr each so I can still keep track of the weight. They stay with the arrow until they are all sized and spined then just heat them up and they slide out. I re-use the wires. I just thought if I could modify the chuck it would fit multiple sizes and it's big enough that I wouldn't loose it(too often) I'll keep my eyes open for one that comes apart.