Author Topic: Is the weight difference between aluminum & carbon shafts negligible?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline TovinoThomas

I ask as I have owned about 40 aluminum shafts that I have never been used, and well I want to put them to use. I always use carbon, so my question is whether or not aluminum cut to the same size as my carbon shafts will be so much heavier that it would affect flight and require adjustment to sights?Nox VidMate Mobdro

I will of course be visiting the range once I fletch these aluminum shafts, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:36:33 am by TovinoThomas »

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Is the weight difference between aluminum & carbon shafts negligible?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 10:24:32 pm »
Not sure you will get a good answer here, most every one uses natural shaft materials, I think.  Some one may pm you an answer, though.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Sagebrush

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:19:12 pm »
It all depends on the carbon and aluminium. Some carbon can be as light as 5 grains per inch or as heavy as 12 gpi. Generally aluminum is a bit heavier and less durable...... but straiter.

Offline Cameron

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 12:56:04 am »
I shoot a bit of olympic style archery and when I shot aluminium and carbon arrows side by side with the same sight settings there was about 50cm of vertical gap between the arrows at 20m. I would choose carbon arrows all day long.
The bow is allready there, you just need to remove the wood that is hiding it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Carbons here, also.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JEB

Been using metal for 60 years. Nothing wrong with aluminum as long as you use the right spine for your set up. You need an inserts for your metal and I have them, let me know there yours.