Author Topic: Ever had sinew rip your bow apart?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline bassman

Re: Ever had sinew rip your bow apart?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 06:18:53 am »
What JW Halverson said. never had that happen.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 07:20:28 am »
Are the side cracks cracks(being pulled apart) or checks(drying cracks)? I believe these are 2 different things but I guess they could happen at the same time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 08:54:58 pm »
Are the side cracks cracks(being pulled apart) or checks(drying cracks)? I believe these are 2 different things but I guess they could happen at the same time.

According to James they are from the wood being pulled apart.  But i have wondered the same thing which is why i posted my experience on here to seek the wisdom of others.  Like i said when i build 8 bows and they all fail the same way, i must determine the issue before i can go forward, so that i can implement a change in my process to avoid this same fate on bow #9.

Offline maitus

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 10:24:02 pm »
This is how Your bow  will dry after sinewing if the edges are covered with tape. Ander the tape the grain will stay expanded because of the tape is holdng moisture. And afrer removing the tape.......! Forget about tape and cover the edges with hide glue as well. Your staves are thick enough not to worry about belly cracks.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:17:06 am by maitus »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 11:39:22 am »
I have a wide sinewed osage flatbow with canyon sized belly cracks. Jay Massey saw this bow when it was still in the maker's hands and he said it was no biggie, belly cracks are cosmetic and have no effect on function. Those side cracks on the other hand....way beyond cosmetic and deep into function destroying.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.