Author Topic: Storing Tru Oil  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Storing Tru Oil
« on: April 25, 2019, 04:05:55 pm »
Just got an 8 oz bottle of Tru Oil. Have heard the stuff evaporates fairly quickly in bottle.
Any recommends on how to store the stuff so it lasts 8-12 months?
Thanks!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Bayou Ben

Re: Storing Tru Oil
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:22:46 pm »
Store the bottle upside down.  It really helps

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 04:28:43 pm »
Yep, store it sitting on it's top.
 Pour a small amount out in to another container(I use jar caps, bottle cap)reseal the Tru-Oil and store it. Don't pour unused  leftovers back in the main bottle. I use a finger to spread Tru-Oil and it doesn't take much to coat a bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 04:55:03 pm »
A garden hose gasket will fit inside the lid for a good seal.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 06:14:01 pm »
Thanks, fellas.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 06:39:27 pm »
I do the upside down.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 10:38:32 pm »
If you are Leary of the cap down idea, you can drop some round balle, marbles, etc in to raise the level back to the cap and reseal.  I like the upside down, personally, but I seem to have a penchant for knocking the darn thing over!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:08:32 am »
This will make it last and last. Poke a pin hole in the center of the aluminum foil seal and squeeze what you need to use through this pin hole, it comes out easily. Store you  bottle upside down when not in use, with the pin hole and upside down storage your tru-oil won't set up like it would in an open container.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 06:19:09 am »
This will make it last and last. Poke a pin hole in the center of the aluminum foil seal and squeeze what you need to use through this pin hole, it comes out easily. Store you  bottle upside down when not in use, with the pin hole and upside down storage your tru-oil won't set up like it would in an open container.

I'm gonna try that with my next bottle Eric.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 06:42:48 am »

I'm gonna try that with my next bottle Eric.
Bjrogg

Yep, me too  :OK

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 07:01:10 am »
Yeah that's a great idea.  I take a sheet of plastic wrap and screw the lid down on it.  it works to keep it from drying out (some).  Eric's idea seems easier.  Maybe both?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 07:13:25 am »
What pat B said plus i burp the bottle and store in a small mason  jar.