Author Topic: Heat bending one osage limb  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Hilongbow

Heat bending one osage limb
« on: April 26, 2019, 01:39:52 am »
Aloha all,

A question about the effects of heat bending on osage: if I heat bend one limb to straighten, do I need to heat treat the other? I did the bending while the stave was only roughed out, just needed really minor corrections to get everything in line on one limb. I didn't heat the other limb at all (not yet anyways). Thanks in advance for any advice

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Heat bending one osage limb
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 03:48:13 am »
I have never. Your wood shouldn't get that dark as it would in a heavy heat treat. But I typically use steam. Osage almost turns to rubber with a good steam bath

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 04:51:16 am »
No need to heat the other limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 05:09:16 am »
Did you char the back though? If you did, that presents a pretty serious issue.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 05:51:38 am »
Unless the irregularities are severe I wait until after first brace before making corrections. Sometimes narrowing the limb on one side or the handle area is all it takes to line things up.
 When making heat adjustments it's not necessary to heat to color change to make the corrections. Getting the area hot enough so you can't hold your thumb on it is usually plenty hot enough to make adjustments.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hilongbow

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 12:12:29 pm »
Ok great, thanks everyone! I used dry heat after oiling down the surface and didn't char anything. The tip just had a bit of a hook that swept a couple inches to one side, too far off to correct by just removing wood. Aloha and have a great weekend.