Author Topic: Alternatives to Facebook  (Read 6020 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Alternatives to Facebook
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 06:13:31 pm »
Dick, actually my daughter deleted mine for me.  ::)
Hope to see you at the Classic next week.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 01:06:55 pm »
For phone calling try WhatsApp. It's a free App with free calling anywhere in the world as long as the person you are calling has it also. I use it to call home and my friends when I'm anywhere overseas.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 07:54:22 am »
My son sees me on PA, and says "dad's on Bowbook again". I guess I like keeping my political opinions to myself. Never saw anyone's mind changed in a Facebook argument.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 08:23:47 am »
I dont use Social media at all never have, I don't really care what some old high school buddy is doing.  I'd rather read a book when I'm that bored,  I find that meditating is more productive.

Many people use Socical media for small business and they show all the likes and positive comments on their page.   Funny thing the negative stuff like the lies and deceit are never posted.  The internet is a mask where people can  be who they are not.   >:D.....
I use to spend 10 hours a day online in the old days, now I\am rarley on for longer than 50 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 08:27:31 am by Woodely »
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 10:07:35 am »
I resisted for some time but relented and joined. I'm basically in archery groups and hunting groups. The primitive archery group run by Guy Dasher is a solid group with nary a whisper of Bs. I even started a board bow group that's doing well. You would be amazed how many members here are on there
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline RyanR

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 05:05:48 pm »
I think the only way to really be "social" is to actually go out and spend time with people. other people think otherwise.
Amen to that.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 05:25:43 am »
People won't leave FB. They are horrible if you are a conservative and they crush on them while letting left leaning people say some awful hateful things. I don't post much on it anymore. I am mainly on it as the wife and daughter are, even thought the wife posts less than me.

Google+ is shutting down, Mewe sucks, I don't like twitter or Reddit. Twitter has a lot of childish people and both seem very impersonal to me.

Then there is pinterest. God awful site where you have to click twice to view content which is like to be an clickbait site, or useless how to, or not what you thought it would be. Or how to make junk crap that no one wants. A girls site for how to keep her BF, or husband, busy all weekend building crap she can't and he doesn't want.  -C-

News flash, Instagram is owned by FB. So what ever BS they pull on FB plan on the same Shyt on there.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 06:16:35 am »
Politics and religion don't fit in anywhere else, so don't try to put them in a public forum like FB. Its a basic life rule we all should know by now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 08:01:13 am »
The design of “likes” on digital media is psychologically twisted.  I’d gotten caught up in it and quit about a year and half ago.  It’s deliberate manipulation, not unlike the tobacco industry, imo.

I had to erase all my posts one by one and “delete” the account, but from what I understand, it’s not actually gone...more like dormant.  It never fully goes away.  Terrible.
1’—>1’

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 04:13:28 am »
Never been on it, never seen the need to know every time some friend uses the bathroom or goes out to Wally world. I have friends that can't go 5 minutes without checking their phone,pretty annoying to watch. ::)  I just don't get it. PA is about the only social media I do, heck I don't even like group text. ;) :) When folks come down to work on a bow or other projects and want me to help them, I tell them to turn them off or I just walk away. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 06:47:49 am »
Do not know much about Facebook but I do enjoy the Primitive Archer message board. Seeing and reading about stuff other guys on PA are doing often inspires me to work on something or get out. Working the night shift often makes it difficult for me to talk with folks in person so email is a way of keeping in touch for me. During the hunting season, myself and a bunch of friends send hunt pictures and keep in touch via email and text. Fun when I open a email titled hunting or trapping pics. The other thing I really enjoy is watching some Youtube videos about stuff I am interested in. Started dabbling in making some Youtube videos myself but I have a very long ways to go. Figure it might be a good Retirement hobby. I guess like most everything, the Internet can be both good and bad.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 09:52:59 am »
Got to agree with Woodley, Pappy, & BrianS!  PA is my social media, I use email and text if it is a private matter.  Have used YouTube, but have trouble hearing most of the narrative, and most are not closed captioned (lol).
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 07:08:47 am »
Then there is pinterest. God awful site where you have to click twice to view cont....

In my opinion Pinterest is the worst of the worst. It thrives shifting to their users the responsibility of stealing contents from other sites and do nothing to stop that bad practice
Without all those copyrighted contents it would be of no interest

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 08:09:17 pm »
Never been registered on FB, learned plenty here on how that ends up. :) Don't comment here much anymore either, because Marc is watching!:)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.