Author Topic: Splitting curved wood  (Read 1418 times)

Offline katzmoor

Splitting curved wood
« on: April 26, 2019, 11:35:42 am »
I have a small problem with some leftover wood from the maple I cut a while back. The other staves are fine - two were perfectly straight and are being made into bows (the other two had mad curvature and propeller twist, and so weren't very useful - they're out back), but this particular piece I have I want to make into a nice gull wing style bow. It's relatively straight with zero twist, and has a nearly symmetrical C curve in the middle that doesn't deviate to the side in either direction. I know how I'm going to do everything so far... except split it. I'll take a picture later, with sharpie lines for reference. I'm worried though if I try splitting it now without advice that it's going to break or otherwise become unusable. For reference, the diameter is about the size of my index finger, so 3-4 inches.
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Splitting curved wood
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 11:40:20 am »
I would mark a  line that approximately parallels the split edges, then saw with a band saw. Your cut will be close enough to the run of the grain.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline katzmoor

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 12:38:43 pm »
I unfortunately do not have a band saw at this time... I might be able to get one later, but at the moment I have a bow saw and a hatchet.  :P
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 01:21:49 pm »
Kerf with a skill saw if you can get one....carefully.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 01:52:33 pm »
Or carve it down with a hatchet

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 02:12:29 pm »
Even curved it should split along the grain so find the pieces you want to use and split it to divide those pieces apart.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 05:35:28 pm »
some maples follow the grain more than others, or dont have much in the way of a long grain to follow.

saw or cut any kind of groove or cut to help the split go where you want

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 06:53:06 pm »
I think I might take it down with a hatchet just to make sure.  It depends on how much you want the back half of the split (might make a nice deflex handle...).  I have had some success with funky stave splitting by drilling holes where I want the middle to split (like by the handle) and starting the split there.  It's always a bit risky to split, but if it is straight grained, you shouldn't have too many issues.

Offline katzmoor

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 11:41:26 am »
I'm thinking of splitting it with a hatchet after making split points with a spike, like the drilling holes that was mentioned earlier.
Omae wa mou, shindeiru.
Nani?!