Author Topic: Recurve tip alignment help request  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Recurve tip alignment help request
« on: April 28, 2019, 11:11:42 am »
Closest I've finally come to a recurved selfbow but having a tip alignment issue on one end.  My goal is 50# draw and static tips.  I haven't put it on a scale yet but estimating 15 to 20 pounds over target weight, so still needs a bunch of tiller work.

What would you gentlemen suggest to correct the alignment?  Thanks a bunch.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Recurve tip alignment help request
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 11:23:27 am »
Looks to me like it is that one limb tip that is off a little. I think I'd reheat it and align the tip. You will have to go over a bit more than needed because it will spring back some when unclamped.. Also you have enough "meat" in the width of the tips to reduce one side to bring it over a little if the heat adjustment isn't enough or to just tweak it a bit more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 11:47:18 am »
Agree with Pat. You can bend it just a skosh in the handle to line them up.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:52:29 am »
I think I'd work from mid limb and out towards the tip.
 Put it back on the bending form with the very tip clamped well, reheat the recurve area(or where the misalignment is) and pull it just past straight and clamp it in position then wait til tomorrow to unclamp it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 12:48:03 pm »
Sometimes you can just twist it cold. Brace it and grab the handle in the vice. Grab hold, one hand on the recurve and the other on the tip and twist in the desired direction. Hold the string with the recurve hand to keep it from rolling off. Give it some healthy twists and see if it holds. I've done it on a few bows. Marc St Louis tip I believe, unless it was PatM. Sorry.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 12:56:11 pm »
I’m on my cell so the pics are small. Follow pats advice. Just sometimes easier to move the handle 1/4 inch than the tip.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:39:58 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 02:28:32 pm »
Sometimes you can just twist it cold. Brace it and grab the handle in the vice. Grab hold, one hand on the recurve and the other on the tip and twist in the desired direction. Hold the string with the recurve hand to keep it from rolling off. Give it some healthy twists and see if it holds. I've done it on a few bows. Marc St Louis tip I believe, unless it was PatM. Sorry.

Probably both of us.    Certainly for that amount of twist it looks like a quick manual torqueing will bring it in line.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 02:51:09 pm »
Thanks, guys.

For heating and putting bavk in the caul, if I use the first picture for reference, I would want to move the handle a little more to the left?  Being that it will sit in the caul roughly how it's showing in pic one?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 05:31:47 am »
I just heat up misaligned tips, put the last couple of inches in my vise and give it a quick tweek, repeat as necessary.