Author Topic: Tiller UPDATE page2 Raw hide/Silk/Snake Skin backed Ash D/R  (Read 6527 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

Hi folks!
The roughed out bow was in the corner for several months because I could only imagine a left hand bow in it. As I started shooting with the other hand too, I thought I will give it a try.
Quite some character in it: one hump in the upper fade, one in the lower followed by another, arrow pass closer to center - for left hand draw. Also a bit of a twist.
First 3 gowthrings are very close , so I removed them. Wanted to make some carvings in the handle area so I left them there. I tapered it roughly towards the limb and forgot to work them down more.
By bending, I  heard a bad cracking noise - a delam crack in the lower fade towards the grip. I superglued it, worked down the remaining upper growth rings to the handle. Then I glued a thick rawhide piece from fade to fade with hide glue. Wasn’t so happy with the rawhide look, so  I decided to back it with silk, also glued on with hide glue (first time hide glue for me!). The splice in the handle wasn’t so nice too, so there came this little piece of snakeskin in my mind which I kept as a bookmark for 30 years I guess. It´s a protected snake! I was about 13 and wanted do observe, and release it. Sadly I suffocated it when I catched it with a bucket and covering with another….
My Brother skinned it. The head and tail are still in use as a pocket for my abalone marbles (my Mum made it). I felt very sorry for the snake and made the best out of it. Hopefully you are not blaming me to much - it was in interest of science!
Also glued on with hide glue. With all the backings and the 3 growth rings I brought the handle forward about 1/2“ and a very nice rounded handle. Bindings made from a serving thread soaked in CA .
The outers are steam bent and reflexed about 4“ With the natural deflex in the handle I started with about 3“ reflex. I could keep 1.5 with about 0.5 stringfollow.
A milestone for me and as I mentioned in another thread: permission to put hands on OO (or wood, which I have to pay for) when I am able to hold some noticeable reflex with white wood.
The arrow pass inlay is made of epoxy mixed with pigments and will protect the snake skin. The inlay tutorial I found at Simons homepage.
Accuracy is a bit hard to judge as it is too heavy for my left arm but I made some groups. - Goal was around 40# but I felt there is so much more in it. I just draw it a bit further observing set and the tiller. I reached 45#@27“
I can throw about 20 arrows through it than I start shaking badly. So it took some time to shoot it in and finish tillering, I have shot about 300 arrows by now. I´m very satisfied with the performance.
Stain is black (handle and tips) and blu-black ink for the working part of the limb. Came out very nice and I will do more with ink on ash. Finish is Tung Oil - 8 coats with 2 steel wool rubs in between.

Specs:
64" ntn
45#@27“
Bh: 5 6/8“
asymmetric (upper 1“ longer)
10" - 11,3#
12" - 15,5#   +4,2#
14" - 19,3#   +4,3#
16" - 23,7#   +4#
18" - 26,8#   +4,1#
20" - 30,5#   +3,7#
22" - 34,2#   +3,7#
24" - 38,3#   +4,1#
26" - 42,5#   +4,2#
27" - 44,7#   +2,2#
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 05:50:29 am by backtowood B2W »

Offline backtowood B2W

Re: Raw hide/Silk/Snake Skin backed Ash D/R
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 01:38:10 pm »
4more

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 01:39:19 pm »
last4

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 01:58:25 pm »
Nice work sir.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 02:11:40 pm »
Man...I really like this one, beautiful primitive look to it.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline kbear

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:24:44 pm »
Ooooh nice!

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 02:37:15 pm »
Thank you SLIMBOB, stixnstones, bear  -  glad you like it!
Forgot to mention: The bow is heat treated.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 02:58:01 pm »
very nice congrats (SH)

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 03:58:21 pm »
Nice looking bow. I like what you did with the snake skin.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline airkah

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 05:05:59 pm »
I really like the finishing work on this. Not something you see all the time.

Offline Dante_F

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 08:14:51 pm »
me likes, the snake skin looks cool as well is it white ash.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 10:45:01 pm »
Thank you, bradsmith,PaSteve, airkah and delta wolf!

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 11:27:43 pm »
lovely work mate! awesome colours in there and real nice shape.

Offline simk

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 01:03:28 am »
Hey b2w - another looker - glad you accepted the bow swap challenge! What kind of snake is/was it? Do you have vipers where you live, north of the alps?? Cheers
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:53:52 am by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 03:17:45 am »
Love those full draw pics.
Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857