Author Topic: Barreled arrows  (Read 4871 times)

Offline DC

Barreled arrows
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:47:43 am »
Has anyone noticed that barreled arrows are harder to pull out of the target? I was shooting my new Spruce/Purpleheart arrows last night and I had to use the "two hands with the elbow braced against the target" to get them out. I'm thinking it's the tapered foreshaft that's wedging itself in the target. Or the finish was still a little rough, could that stick them in?

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Barreled arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 09:27:04 am »
The target material may have something to do with it.  How far are the arrows penetrating?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 09:44:58 am »
My regular bamboo arrows don't stick. They go in about a foot. It's the targets at our range and they are getting shot out. The arrows only stick in the firm, like new, sections.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 10:34:36 am »
Remember we use to use Armor-All on the Vinyl upholstery. .......     ;D  or use silicone spray on the arrows.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 11:01:18 am »
I usually Armor-all my arrows but I was waiting until I was fer sure finished. It does help a lot.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 09:44:48 pm »
Armor-All, huh? Hmmmmm
Thanks!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 09:05:40 am »
I guess nobody uses barreled arrows for target shooting?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 10:41:11 am »
all my dogwood shafts end up being a little barrel shaped.  In my cardboard targets they were a little tough to get out compared to the bamboo tapered shafts, but I put that down to the larger diameter of  the dogwood shafts, not the shape.  now that I am using old clothes as a packing material in my target, all the arrows come out with no effort at all.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 08:54:50 am »
I never noticed a barreled arrow pulling out of a target any different than any thing else.is the finish that you use seem to be  doing the sticking? Are you using something new as a finish.if not completely dry a finish will tend to soften from friction goin in and then make it stick .

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 09:02:59 am »
It's the same dip I've always used but it only had a day or so drying. I've sanded and recoated them and they've had a few days drying. I'll try and get out to shoot them. The test will be Monday at the range. That's where I noticed them sticking.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 08:29:11 am »
Are the butts at the range that fiber board stuff? I used to shoot a range in the area that was a beautifull piece of ground but i only shot carbon there cause my wood arrows would just burn in and make it a real chore to pull.I would have too lube the attows every shot or they were ruined.caught alot of slack from wheelie guys for shooting selfbow and carbons.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 08:50:49 am »
The thing is I have regular tapered Bamboo arrows and the new barrelled ones. They are all finished with the same stuff. I'm shooting with the same bow at the same target. The barrelled ones are harder to pull out.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 09:36:15 am »
Whats the difference in diameter ? the barreled tapered are probably 11/32 or larger whats the diameter of the bamboo?

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 09:43:42 am »
Barrelled are.330-.340, boo are .310-.320. May be something to that.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 05:30:06 pm »
I try to use the same arrows and build the same that way it takes away another variable where it can affect my shooting accuracy.  I try to taper the rear 8-10" a weee bit that's about it.  If they stick then don't go there, but experimenting is always a good thing if you solve an issue that's been pestering you.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."