Author Topic: Leather pattern request, glove for bow hand.  (Read 1809 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Leather pattern request, glove for bow hand.
« on: May 05, 2019, 12:06:21 pm »
Finishing up and shooting in my first bow without an arrow shelf.  Got s few cuts and scrapes on my bow hand.  Tried a leather work glove but the seam is in a spot that screws me up.  One of those neoprene work gloves worked for a little  bit  but starting to wear out atound the knuckle.

Figure I could stitch something up myself if I coupd get a good look at a pattern.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

Re: Leather pattern request, glove for bow hand.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 12:45:04 pm »
I don't use a glove. I just adjust the nock point up until it doesn't hit my hand any more. It seems to coincide with good arrow flight. I make my nock point with thread so it screws up and down on the serving. I normally start with it too high and then screw it down until I feel the fletch hit my finger, then screw it back up about 1/16". It may seem a little Rube Goldberg but if you think about it an arrow that is launching straight shouldn't hit your hand so by moving the nock until it just misses you are probably pretty close to correct nock height. Just as a test try nocking the arrow a bit higher and see if it hits your hand. Check the arrow flight and report back here. I would like to see if others have the same result as me.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 02:06:45 pm »
I don't use a glove. I just adjust the nock point up until it doesn't hit my hand any more. It seems to coincide with good arrow flight. I make my nock point with thread so it screws up and down on the serving. I normally start with it too high and then screw it down until I feel the fletch hit my finger, then screw it back up about 1/16". It may seem a little Rube Goldberg but if you think about it an arrow that is launching straight shouldn't hit your hand so by moving the nock until it just misses you are probably pretty close to correct nock height. Just as a test try nocking the arrow a bit higher and see if it hits your hand. Check the arrow flight and report back here. I would like to see if others have the same result as me.

I'll give it a try.  So you just tie something like a single strand, maybe with a square knot?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 04:06:33 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_nMYG8GEcE  I just use one point. There's lots of videos.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 07:22:11 am »
I do the same as DC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 09:20:19 am »
Way back in the day, dental floss(linen) was the go to nock point wrapping!  I cheat and use the rubber "No Glove"   thingies.  They work great if the string is thick enough.  DC has the right idea, I think.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry