Author Topic: Shave horse length  (Read 2442 times)

Offline DC

Shave horse length
« on: May 06, 2019, 09:58:19 am »
I want to make a shave horse. Most plans I've seen are about 4' long but it looks like most of those have quite a bit of overhang. I'm 6' tall, so how short a shave horse can I get away with? has anyone made a shorter one and had problems?

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Shave horse length
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 10:39:10 pm »
I ain't 6' tall, but it is easier to take wood off than to put it back on! >:D :BB.  Most folks are about 5'8"-  6' , so maybe about 5-5 1/2' would work for you.   Post your results for posterity!  I lan to modify mine so I have a seat and it is lower, Hope I only have to move the vise to one end or the other. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:48:19 am »
I made my shave horse from 1, 8', 2x8 and 1, 8', 2x4 and a set of plastic saw horse leg clamps from Lowe's. The 2x4 got cut in 4, 2' pieces for the legs and the 2x8 cut to 6' for the main body and the 2' of 2x8 left for the slanted piece that the knucklehead is attached to. I got the plans from an old PA magazine. Check the "how to" section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 12:26:10 pm »
For portability I was hoping to get it shorter than 4'. Doesn't sound hopeful. Maybe I'll have to mock something up. The mockup is almost as much work as the real thing though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 02:10:19 pm »
If Keenan Howard from Bend Oregon is still making his "Stave Master" that is the best bow working bench I've ever seen or used. It's about $350 but can be easily disassembled into 3 pieces. I've carried mine to the Classic in my Toyota Corolla.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 07:49:54 am »
Yeah, I'm too tight for that. Nice rig though.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 10:10:10 am »
Might try a rabbet joint and bolts with wing nuts for a take down center rail?  Works well for my tent pole!  Could Jerry rig collapsible joint for the kegs with hinges and eye bolts with pins.  Comfort is another issue! >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 10:58:56 am »
You could add a vice on the end instead of using a knucklehead and make it as short as you like. The sawhorse leg clamps loosen so you could remove the 2x4 legs easily for transport.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 12:53:55 pm »
I don't need it to come apart, I just don't want it to take up to much floor space.
It would be nice if it would fit across the truck. Anyway I've just about finished it. I just have to put the seat on to see if it's too short.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 02:12:17 pm »
Don't forget the pics.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 03:52:14 pm »
Here it is. I don't like it. I was planning on doing a lot of rasping but these things seem to only like to be pulled. Rasping pushes sideways so the bow pivots. I drilled the deck and put a pin in for the bow to rest against but it's still kind of wobbly. I thought three legs was a good thing. Doesn't seem so. Maybe if I had put the two leg end at the front. I don't know, I'll stare at it for a while and see if something pops into mind.