Author Topic: Looking for raw or dyed quills  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Looking for raw or dyed quills
« on: May 07, 2019, 11:52:53 am »
As said above I'm gonna attempt to try my hand at quill work. I got a book and watched Becca Parker do some quill work at the Classic. I found out raw quills are a bit expensive just to see if I want to get serious about it. If I do get serious about it I will buy some but for now I just need enough to get started.  I generally have lots of stuff to trade.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Looking for raw or dyed quills
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 01:29:35 pm »
Sorry, I don’t have any but thought I’d share this. To collect quills from rd kill. Drop the dead porky pine in a styrofoam cooler, roll it around inside cooler. The quills stick in the foam, then just dump porky back out.  Good luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 02:12:24 pm »
If we had porcupine I'd do that, Ed but they live farther north than I do. Great idea though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 08:24:45 pm »
Pat,
I will check my quill work box and see how many will be available.  I'm not doing much quillwork lately!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 08:26:48 pm »
May have to carry an extra styrofoam cooler to the hills next trip!  A burlap sack helps, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 12:54:48 am »
Crazy Crow carries them also Pat  (=) - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 06:48:33 am »
Bob, I've check out Crazy Crow. I'm trying to find some to play around with. If I decide to continue on I will buy from them. For now I just need a small amount to get started with.
 Sure missed you guys at the classic. Hopefully next year.  :OK

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:31:18 pm »
Pm sent
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 10:07:53 am »
I killed one last spring, and took the quills, and roasted it over a spit. Not as much meat as I would have thought.  I use a rag to collect the quills. Didn’t get too many, but I can check and see what I have if you can’t find any.
Eric