Author Topic: Congrats to Airkah for winning April Self Bow of the Month!!  (Read 4489 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Congrats to Airkah for winning April Self Bow of the Month!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:43:41 am »
Congratulations Airkah. That really was one of the nicest introductions to Primitive Archery site I can remember. Knew you'd get a bunch of votes. Very nicely done.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:03:47 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 10:00:48 am »
 :OK   8)  Well done Erika.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline airkah

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 11:37:11 am »
Thank you all so much, it is such an honor to win. I thought I'd get a few votes, but I really didn't expect to win. We really had 5 great bows this month, and any of then would have been a worthy winner.

Bj thank you, I really loved all three of your trilogy bows and the story behind them.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 12:24:08 pm »
Congrats Airkah. You did an excellent job on your bow.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 01:50:36 pm »
Made me smile to see this :) I hope you become an inspiration to other newbies. Your bow is certainly a favorite of mine.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 02:44:13 pm »
Congrats on the win.  Well deserved I think.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 05:59:12 pm »
Way to go Erika!  (-S
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 08:10:53 pm »
Congrats on the bow of the month. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 06:54:20 am »
Congrats )P(

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 12:18:03 pm »
Congratulations on an impressively designed and beautiful bow, Airkah!!  Well deserved win!
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 12:43:03 pm »
Congrats! You had my vote! Like others said it was a great introduction, keep ‘m bows comin ;D

Offline kbear

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 01:09:21 pm »
Yay, I won! That is to say, the bow I voted for won Yay! What great sportsmanship from leonwood too, huh. I love leon's work, his bows are a thing of great beauty. Bj is probably one of the most respected Bowyers on the forum, and Straightarrow's grips and tips were real nice. But, your bow, for this month Erika, was a thing of beauty, simplicity, and elegance. Well done, and welcome! Look forward to seeing more.......

Offline NCoutdoorsman

• Thomas
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 09:41:42 am »
Yes Yes Yes please keep the bows coming. What are you currently working on? Oh yeah congrats!!!!
“Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach of us more than we can ever learn from books.” –John Lubbock

Offline airkah

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 11:27:22 am »
Thanks Leon, that really means a lot coming from you. There are a few people on here that I'll look through old bows they've shown when I'm looking for inspiration and you're one of them.

NC, I've got two staves I'm working on right now. One is a 61 inch red elm stave I've got mostly roughed out. I'm thinking about trying a 5 curve with it just to see if I can pull it off. I have a picture in my head of the finished bow that involves a few inches of wraps coming out of the fades and again near the tips. But I hesitate to do it, since the only bow I've shown here had wraps and I don't care for adding the weight to the outer limbs. I think when its tillered I'll also only have dark heartwood on the handle, so I don't really want to cover that either. I guess I'll make a decision once I see what the final bow would look like. I don't have as much time as I'd like to work on it, so itwill probably be atleast a month or maybe two before its finished if I'm lucky enough not to break it.

The other is a 72in, 2in wide Osage stave that I am currently in the "stare at" phase. It really doesn't have much as far as character and its so wide/long/straight that the stave really isn't dictating what I can do with it. It's still has to finish losing moisture content, so I have some time to figure it out. I tried to speed it up a little bit like I did the elm in my hotbox (what we call a car in Florida) but it started to get a small drying crack between the sapwood and heartwood, so I'm going to play to safe and keep staring at it for awhile.