Author Topic: Made 1st English HAZEL flat Bow  (Read 7695 times)

Offline DC

Re: Made 1st English HAZEL flat Bow
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 01:14:10 pm »

Fatter - check , yes i was surprised by low weight with almost 2" wides near the fades and still is fairly thick .. - did you make flat Bows also ?

Yes

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 01:34:54 pm »
Having made hazel flat bows and long-bows, hazel works better as a flat bow, but the heat treat is essential - it makes a huge difference in how punchy the bow is - I reckon a hazel bow increases range by 30% from a gentle toasting - the wood doesn't need to change colour to get this level of improvement but I can't stress enough how important this step is.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 07:54:05 pm »
That sure is a pretty tiller. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline globalmark

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 03:10:19 am »
Thanks Guys -

Stuckinthemud and DC - Next Bow will be Fatter and Heat treated - (heat treat JUST the belly Right on Hazel )  ????? 

Bow just finished Now (apart from the string I still gotta make)
- yes seems - i also Love Hazel so might have to start another one now hahahaha this Bow making is addictive , none of the furniture i make is as much fun a table or a chair Practical yes but not fun but Bows well fun..

Hazel yes made some hazel arrows before from smallish shoots or whatever they are called - but this first and NOT last Hazel bow ..
i did cut the leather Handle wrap a little bit short but cant be bothered to use another bit of leather up its still ok ..

few more pics
Used Hot glue to stick on the Arrow rest cut a taper in end of leather (also glue that on with spot of Hot glue)- start wrapping
when get to end i cut taper in other end Make sure correct length (not sure why but i cut to short today ?)
wrapped and then tuck end in with tiny bit glue
- I also added some COW hide with Hair on - i know had arrow Plate but i like the way the bow is protected and arrows slide over the cow hide (hair on and hair in direction of arrow travel) , this stuck on with contact adhesive (spray can , masked of areas dont want glue)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:24:20 am by globalmark »

Offline globalmark

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 03:13:36 am »
Bow finished Pics
and Me drawing Bow - seems not holding string in centre - but gives general idea'

72" long - 2" (46mm at fades) 16mm thick
mid limb approx 32mm wide and 12.5mm thick
near tips 13mm (1/2") wide and 9mm thick approx as wood not straight
Handle 4" + 2.5" either sides to the taper
23lbs @ 30" easy will draw much further if want

Super nice Bow to shoot - seems fast for 23lbs to me and lots penetration in my Target Box .(large box with as many layers cardboard inside i can get - seems to stop arrows just great stops my 80lbs bows also no dramas)

Question - I just started with Wrapping Handles like this did the stitch up mainly before - but not 100% sure what supposed to do with final end i just tuck them in with bit of glue  - not many tutorials online as many people just do a thread wrap over the Tails -
if anyone knows a good tutorial link or offer suggestions would be great .. Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:41:06 am by globalmark »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 04:56:09 pm »
   The bend looks even Mark...Looks like your 3" high on your drawing hand causing the imbalance...
                                                                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline globalmark

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:41 am »
HI Don

yes was more concerned taking pic with camera on timer then correct Hand placement also i never Kneel to shoot just garage door is low and colour id good for showing the bend .- also with temporary string no reference of the centre
But on the Tiller the bend is pretty good ..

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 12:14:18 am »

But on the Tiller the bend is pretty good ..
Mark,
          I think the bend is excellent...
                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 11:52:09 am »
I like it.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline globalmark

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 04:00:47 pm »
Thanks Guys - yes think my wood selection helped also picked a nice straight one with less knots to start really made it tiller nice ..

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 03:29:47 pm »
I happen to have a lovely little English hazel flatbow. Poor thing got blown off course on a spring migration and landed, of all places, in Tennessee. I found the poor little bird being batted about my a naughty Cat and rescued it.  Mind you, the Cat pretended he had brought it to me, but that is how Cat's are.

I noticed your comment that you start with the worst stave. So do I. Best to do your foolish mistakes on the least of the lot!  When you get enough bows under your belt you will start to reach for the least of the lot again...but with a twinkle in your eye and leer on your face!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2019, 06:57:06 pm »
Very nice work!  8)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline globalmark

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 10:14:51 am »
Thanks for comments Guys

yes always start with worst staves - Have approx 20 bows under belt now all different style inc couple Glass and few Bamboo laminated - English long bow and try-laminated longbows
damn Bow building addictive