Author Topic: Lawn mower blades into arrowhead?  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Lawn mower blades into arrowhead?
« on: July 02, 2019, 10:25:39 pm »
I am a bit short on old saw blades, but have a surplus of bent lawn mower blades.  Are they suitable for arrowheads with or without heating?  I do have a hacksaw!  I don't have a forge, an anvil, or tongs.  Heat source would be charcoal in an old  grill. Anvil would be a piece of railroad tie, tongs would be a pair of heavy pliers!  And a steady supply of expletives deleted, more than likely! (f) (lol) >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline KHalverson

Re: Lawn mower blades into arrowhead?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 01:00:01 pm »
pm sent.

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 01:00:45 am »
Not all lawnmower blades are created equal, but they will generally make a decent blade.  I can't see why you couldn't use them for arrowheads.  After all, they are certainly harder than bone, but bone has been used for arrowheads probably since almost forever.

The hacksaw might be a tedious way to do it, but I think you should be fine, as long as you are patient about it. 

-Patrick

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 11:48:25 am »
If I proceed with that idea, I will probably get some diamond wheel for my Dremel, or my son's side grinder!  I agree that all mb's are not equal, but the stump wins every time!  Seems like I would be smart enough to get rid of the stump!  Maybe I'm still nostalgic about the good crops of cherries and peaches we got from the trees!   (lol) (lol).  Btw, is it safe to assume that car/truck leaf springs are pretty good steel for forging?  I know I had a heck of a time cutting one to make a froe blade (still in the works),
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2019, 05:15:32 pm »
If I proceed with that idea, I will probably get some diamond wheel for my Dremel, or my son's side grinder!  I agree that all mb's are not equal, but the stump wins every time!  Seems like I would be smart enough to get rid of the stump!  Maybe I'm still nostalgic about the good crops of cherries and peaches we got from the trees!   (lol) (lol).  Btw, is it safe to assume that car/truck leaf springs are pretty good steel for forging?  I know I had a heck of a time cutting one to make a froe blade (still in the works),
Hawkdancer

yes springs are good for forging .

Offline Mountain Man1

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 03:22:13 am »
Got an angle grinder or $30 bucks to get one? Decent grinder with a pack of the real thin cutting wheels and you could churn out arrowheads in no time at all. If I had to keep only one metal working tool, it would be my small grinder (have a big one but too cumbersome for most stuff).