Author Topic: HHB Selfbow - Am I in Trouble?  (Read 9135 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: HHB Selfbow - Am I in Trouble?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2019, 03:30:45 pm »
A little violation at the non-working tip shouldn't be a problem. If you are just backing for safety sake rawhide, silk or linen will fix that. You'll have a longer wait time for sinew to cure than with the other backings I mentioned.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2019, 03:54:07 pm »
No need to stress about sinew lifting at the tips, simply feather it out over the last 6 inches or so. Once dry you can sand the transition smooth. No need for any wraps where it feathers out either.
If it is your first sinew job don't be scared to reflex it well by reverse bracing it before applying sinew about 3 - 4 inches. Apply a layer of sinew let it gel then reflex a little further. Letting the glue gel then increasing reflex will ensure it doesn't lift. Without added reflex sinew will make your bow slower than it could be :)

Offline nguidi328

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2019, 07:51:35 pm »
Well, thanks for the advice everyone.  I finished it up a couple months ago, put about 300 arrows through it so far.

Took about 1-3/4" of set - I didn't put reflex in it before applying sinew, and I only put one layer on it - both of which I regret after seeing how much set it took.

I recently read that you should tiller from the tips in - something I'll be doing from now on. I think that was a factor in the set, as well as tillering in humid conditions, and the narrow profile.

Overall though, pretty happy the way it turned out.  Pulls about 45# at 27".  Tips are a bit stiff but I didn't want to compromise weight anymore.

Pretty much the first legit bow I've made, so pretty stoked!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 08:53:24 pm »
Nice - there's nothing like that first shooter! 

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 09:20:17 pm »
Looking good.  HHB is a good candidate for heat treating if you are willing to try to fight that set.  I don’t think 1.75” is that bad of set. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2019, 12:43:02 am »
congrats,,.enjoy

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 05:25:14 am »
Let the good times roll.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline M2A

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2019, 07:20:33 am »
Congrats on the 1st bow! Looks good.
Mike

Offline Mafort

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2019, 11:36:48 am »
I know this is an old post but if the set bothers ya you can soak off the sinew in a horse trough (like I did) and then heat treat the bow after waiting for a few days to allow it to lose some more moisture content and then re back the entire bow with the same sinew you soaked off. Did it to a maple and Osage bow and they are both with their new owners. However set also helps accuracy to a certain degree. Anyways I’m glad you got that bow shooting. It looks scare fast!