Author Topic: Ants in American Hornbeam  (Read 1493 times)

Offline bassman

Ants in American Hornbeam
« on: May 13, 2019, 06:35:20 pm »
I cut 2 nice American Hornbeam 3 inch saplings, and axed one down to put it on a caul  to  shape it.When I got to the middle of the sapling Ants had tunneled through the core wood.Deep enough so that I can,t get a bow from it.The Ants were coming out of those tunnels. I have built quite a few A hornbeam bows ,but never witnessed this before.Strange to say the least.

Offline okie64

Re: Ants in American Hornbeam
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 07:16:30 pm »
I’ve never dealt with hornbeam but I’ve seen them ruin pecan wood. I cut a nice, big  pecan a few years ago that I thought would make some excellent bows but the ants were everywhere inside of it. Ruined the whole tree.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 07:31:31 pm »
I don't think the ants are eating healthy wood but following tunnels of some other insect or fungi, maybe even wind shakes or cracks in the wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 02:38:28 am »
Pat if look close you see one little hole in the sapling.When you cut on that hole to the core of the sapling the ants, and the tunnels appear.Some go deep, and long and can not be made into a bow.Bummer.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 02:43:12 am »
I'm thinking Powder Post Beatles. They like HHB, Sugar Maple and Elm.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 06:33:34 am »
They look like ants to me Brogg, but sounds like you know what your talking about. You can see a pin hole were they bore from the outside in.Bummer, because they were nice straight saplings.Just have to find some good stuff.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:48:28 pm »
Add Hackberry to that list as well.  If you saw the critters and they were ants, then it's ants.  Otherwise, I'd go with Powder Post Beetles.  Little holes bored into the wood.  Usually multiple holes.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 03:11:58 pm »
Yes, they looked just like ants to me.First time I have never had that experience with any wood. The other sapling that I have has those same tiny holes, so it will be fire wood too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 11:37:36 am »
The ants are probably following previous damage, either bug or physical damage. If the wood has rot in it the ants are eating the rotten wood or the fungi that has developed in the damage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC