Author Topic: How to ship staves/small logs  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Azmdted

How to ship staves/small logs
« on: May 15, 2019, 07:37:52 am »
I've searched the topics and found a 2008 thread that indicated some folks wrap their staves with the plastic shipping wrap and then take it to the USPS.

Is that still an acceptable/best/good method for shipping staves or smallish logs?  I'm flying to Arizona in a bit and want to be on the look out for productive wood while I'm there.  I've got a 38" duffel that I can use for short wood and then splice together later.  But what do you do about getting longer wood home when you aren't driving your truck?

Thanks,

Ted

Offline osage outlaw

Re: How to ship staves/small logs
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 07:41:42 am »
That is how I still mail staves.  I try to keep them around 70" long and I've never had to pay the balloon charge for an oversized package.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 07:50:42 am »
Same I just mailed a stave to Hawaii a few weeks back as part of a trade, I just wrapped in plastic wrap and taped his address on it.

Offline Azmdted

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 07:55:44 am »
Thanks guys, that's great to hear.  I appreciate the quick replies.

Offline gifford

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 10:11:07 am »
If you have or can get a snow ski carrier/zippered bags. This is the way Sal and John carry their bows and bow blanks. Goes as checked luggage. They have flown round trip from CA to MO several times and found that to be a very convenient way to bring osage bow blanks back to CA. Good luck on your trip.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 11:33:51 am »
I've always used USPS.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC