Author Topic: Shot a tournament  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Shot a tournament
« on: May 06, 2019, 05:46:58 am »
A guy opened up an archery tournament locally, mostly for wheels but I felt the need to go out and support him. I didn't keep score and walked the course with a friend who was badly injured in a car accident who wanted to get out but couldn't shoot a bow.

I went to sign up and noticed several osage trees behind the sign in desk. I pointed them out to the guy running the shoot and gave him a quick lesson in what was bow quality wood and what wasn't.

My friend and I started the course and then we saw it; the course was set up in an osage grove, probably 50 trees or more. The whole farm was covered up with osage and we only saw a fraction of it.

As with all osage only a few trees were bow quality, but almost every one had a sprout for staves or trunk that would make perfect billets.

What made this unusual was we have osage trees around, usually in scattered groups of two or three, never an absolute thicket of them.

The sad part is the guy running the tournament said we could cut whatever we wanted to but both Joe and I are too old and beat up to be able to ever cut osage again. He is 77 and currently in rigid collar with a broken neck from the accident and I am 71 and recovering from back fusion and hernia surgery that went poorly, heavy lifting is out for me.

It was nice to drool over osage, lots of osage, I guess the lust for the stuff never leaves us bowmakers.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:50:11 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Shot a tournament
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 05:58:28 am »
Hope you both enjoyed yourselves Eric. I know your right. I know I'll never look at a tree the same as I did before I began this journey.
Bjrogg
PS  I'm sure you could still see what that bow wood looked like when it was done in your head.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:18:20 am »
You ain't in too bad of shape if you walked and shot a round with your ailments. Hang in there.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 03:07:52 pm by JEB »

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:28:44 am »
You need to find some young person who will work for steaks, beer, and staves!  And bow making lessons!  Our black powder club had a work day a while back and the youngest guy there was 61!  We recruited some younger folks since then!  I know how those various aches and pains can slow you down, but keep moving!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 02:21:39 pm »
You need to find some young person who will work for steaks, beer, and staves!  And bow making lessons!  Our black powder club had a work day a while back and the youngest guy there was 61!  We recruited some younger folks since then!  I know how those various aches and pains can slow you down, but keep moving!
Hawkdancer

I'd do it for a convenience store hot dog and a generic soda just for the chance to hang with you for a day, Eric.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:13:29 am »
I'm a young(ish) person in Alabama and I will happily work for staves and food (not beer, gave that up).  Was this thicket here in Alabama?  I never see Osage around me
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:41:46 pm »
Muscle Shoals, lots of osage up here, I don't think the guy would go for mass cutting.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 08:21:49 am »
That's just a couple hours from me.  If you get a hankering to get a few staves let me know, I can work out some travel time and bring a chainsaw or two.  Got to work out kid logistics - but I'd figure that out for some 'sage.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle