Author Topic: Kaboom  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Kaboom
« on: May 17, 2019, 08:44:16 am »
Well,I knew there was something iffy about this stave. Luckily it was a light poundage bow, didn’t hurt me but gave me a good scare. At least this one lasted 200 shots. Just gotta keep pushing forward. (--)

https://imgur.com/a/Eolo4L6

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Kaboom
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 09:23:13 am »
Oops!  Nice handful of whittli' sticks (--) >:D (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 09:49:59 am »
Keep your head up Ryan, just get back out there and make another.   :BB

Btw, what type of wood is that?

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 10:52:13 am »
It’s guava, a relatively poor piece of guava. Not the strawberry variety though.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:15:38 am »
That's an impressive explosion.  I'm impressed with the number of pieces.  Did you speed dry it somehow?

You get black palm over there, Ryan?
1’—>1’

Offline Ringeck85

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:49 pm »
It's never fun to have a bow break on you!!

I'm curious, the piece you were working on looked almost like a very narrow sapling; is that the case or are my eyes playing tricks on me?  It might be easier to tiller a stave that comes from a wider diameter log/branch/sapling, if it's possible to get a hold of one. 

Good luck either way and as old W. Churchill said, "Nevah, nevah, Evah Give up!"
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:54:14 pm »
Parnell
Yup, probably shouldn’t have dried it in the attic when my room is already 107 degrees fahrenheit. Actually, my neighbor’ has a ton of black palm. The seeds from those ended up growing in my backyard. We’ll have to cut down one of the older trees to stop it from hitting the roof of my house. So I may have some staves in the future.

Ringeneck85
The thing with guava is that narrow saplings are all you can get from it, you have 2 to 4 inches of width at most but if it is 4 inches wide, it isn’t gonna be very long, or straight.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 07:34:36 am »
Gotcha Ryan.  That's exciting about the black palm, that's a project that I'd be all over.  We get all kinds of palms growing here in S Florida, but not that.  Hope you can get it going, I'm interested in seeing someone do that as it was so widely used.
1’—>1’

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 09:46:06 am »
Parnell
I’ve actually already worked a little black palm already while re-tillering my grandpas old crossbow. The prod was made of black palm. It seems to lend itself more to scraping than rasping, a rasp causes it to tear out. I’m just as excited as you are.