Author Topic: Splicing with handtools  (Read 9667 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Splicing with handtools
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 11:23:51 pm »
You need a permit to have a bandsaw?!!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 11:26:44 pm »
You need some sort of permit to have a bandsaw??!!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 02:30:40 am »
Hawkdancer
When you’re 15 like me, “authority” is summed up with whether mom or dad will allow it. ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 10:09:44 am »
Just convince them they really need a bandsaw!  Assuming, of course, there is room available, and some practical application! >:D. You might also check to see if there is one available at school in the shop area, the maintenance people surely have one, then it's just a matter of getting permission to use it, or get someone to make the cuts.  But try to learn to do it by hand first, and watch your fingers!  Use scrap wood until you develop the skill level, practice, practice, practice!  Good luck and keep learning!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 02:05:54 pm »
Speaking here as a former 15 year old and a 15 year olds parent. Learn to use the hand tools.They work well and they are cheap. A bandsaw worth having for bow work is going to cost a few bucks. A year or two down the road you're going to be looking for financial help to buy a car. If your parents can point to a bandsaw that's been parked it the corner for a year it ain't going to help.
Sermon mode off ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 02:08:47 pm »
I'm trying a hand done splice. First one ever. One limb done and it looks not to bad. The tough one coming up after lunch. I will post pics, warts and all.

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2019, 02:42:39 pm »
Back and belly right after sawing and the tapered sanding stick.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2019, 03:37:49 pm »
I've done better but I'm going to boil and clamp it now. I'm gluing some deflex in this one and that's why there are pieces sticking out.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 07:25:34 pm »
I’m attempting a v splice to start out with, figure I should start simple and work my way up.

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 08:24:21 pm »
Here it is after cooling off. This splice is 2.5" long and has seven glue lines for a total of 17.5" of glue line. A "V" joint would have to be 8.75" long to be as strong. You lose a bit with every point, I have 6 and you will have one but for bows more is better. You can get it all in the middle of the handle so you don't have a glue joint going through the arrow pass area and it can hide under a leather wrap. That's not to say that a "V" joint won't work. It will, but more points works better so try more next time. I still have to work on the points, I can't seem to get nice sharp points. I think I need a finer saw or more talent.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2019, 09:57:13 pm »
Yeah, I’m probably gonna glue an additional piece in the handle.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 05:28:11 am »
Good job DC but that many fingers is overkill. I have done over 100 Z splices, most 3 1/2" so the handle leather covers them up, none have failed.I like a cutting pattern drawn on paper and glued to the billet, in this case a failed limb replacement.

Offline DC

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2019, 08:31:34 am »
Yeah, I looked at it this morning and realised that 3 or 4 fingers would have given me lots of glue line. Might have been a little easier to get nice points too. I used to use a 4"(about) "Z" splice like yours but I always found myself fretting about the arrow pass coming so close to the glue line. When Upstate posted a picture of his(copied from Marc, I believe) shorter multi fingered joint I decided to go that route. The arrow pass is nowhere near the splice and the splice is in the widest part of the handle. That plus it's easier to hide if you fudge the joint some ;D ;D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2019, 06:04:03 am »
On the picture above the good limb has already been spliced so I am making a splice over a splice. I consider glued wood to be stronger than just wood alone. It is a lot easier to break a 1/2" board than a 1/2" piece of plywood.

I make my splices 1 1/4" wide then shape my handle, With a 3 1/2" splice my arrow pass is always above the splice but I don't think it matters.

Back when I made longer splices I cut arrow passes slightly into the splice but none ever failed.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 07:26:59 pm »
Another option. John