Author Topic: two new plains-style quivers  (Read 2747 times)

Offline jeffp51

two new plains-style quivers
« on: May 17, 2019, 11:36:58 am »
I have a neighbor down the street who likes to hunt a lot.  He keeps me pretty well supplied with materials.  The last time I spoke with him, he mentioned he had several deer hides professionally tanned, and we decided I would make him a quiver to go with the bow I made him last year. As payment I could keep enough of the leather to make my own quiver as well. This is the result. Turns out "professional" was a bit of a stretch of the term.  The hides came back full of HUGE holes all over them.  He had hoped to make some buckskin pants or a jacket out of them, but I struggled even to find enough clean leather for the quivers.

I wanted to keep things as natural/primitive as possible, so I decided to twist up my own sinew cordage to stitch them together--but then the leather was too thin to make good straps, so I had to stitch two pieces together back-to-back.  It took more than I expected, Ever tried to make 50+ feet of sinew cordage --  as fine as possible so you can sew with it?  It took quite a while, but I got pretty good by the end, and it was somehow relaxing to sit there and twist-and-wrap,  twist-and-wrap.  Each quiver has a beef rawhide pocket at the bottom of the quiver in case he or I ever put in broadheads.

I have to admit I used some rubber cement to hold things together while I sewed, so I guess I cheated on the primitive a little.  Also used a stainless steel needle instead of a porcupine quill. . .and I used some CA glue to stabilize the spongy centers of the antler buttons (I feel so dirty  )P( )  but other than that I like how they turned out.  At the last minute I added the wrap stitching around the top, and I think that really cleaned up the look.

Tell me what you think.

Offline Woodely

Re: two new plains-style quivers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:03:49 pm »
Excellent work sir.  Nothing more to add.   
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 01:32:18 pm »
YUP, very nice work.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:56:37 pm »
Nice  work.  :OK   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:44:07 pm »
Very nice!  Looks real primitive to me!  Where did you get the pattern, and how do you keep the broadheads from cutting through?  I don't see any modern materials! (lol) >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 07:18:22 am »
Hawk I just looked at as many as I could find, including tbb2, then I cut a test pattern from an old pair of jeans then tried to fit that in a spot with no holes.  I almost made the second one left handed, so I had to change the pattern some, which is why they are different.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 07:56:56 am »
Looks good sir. Holes? just spaces to be filled. use a patch n stitch it in. use small stitches.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 08:41:05 am »
The holes were like ten inches across. Some of the hides were more hole than hide.  I don't know who did the tanning, but he should have been paying my friend instead of the other way around. I would have been ashamed if it had been my wirk

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 11:19:41 am »
    Really nice Jeff! I like to hunt that style quiver...
                                                                               Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 09:47:37 pm »
I may have enough elk hide to make one of those!  The rawhide cup will be a challenge, unless I get the old cowhide out of the freezer and get to stretching!  I do have some stiff leather and closed foam that would work, I think.  Have to figure out the left handed design, though!  The shaft is sewn in all the way down or just at the ends?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 11:46:59 pm »
For the quiver on the right, I folded about 2.5" of leather over the shaft and glued it down with rubber cement.  Then I folded again for the size quiver I wanted/had leather for and then stitched it along the entire length (this is the time to put the rawhide in.  Get it good and wet/soft first.  The excess folds over the top of it all and hides the stitching on the front.  This is the part that will matter left or right.  You just have to test it first.  It only really matters if you care which side of the leather shows

For the quiver on the right the shaft is sewn in in three places: under each strap and in the middle.  the fringe for it is a separate piece sewn into the bottom seam.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 08:13:44 am »
Those are nice looking .that color just gets better looking with age and use.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 02:24:57 pm »
Those are nice looking .that color just gets better looking with age and use.

Yeah, I feel like I need to rub some dirt into it.  I think I will let nature take its course.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 04:39:18 am »
Very nice quivers, I am sure he will like that. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good