Author Topic: Selfbow "Robin Hood"  (Read 5259 times)

Offline Floridaarcher

Selfbow "Robin Hood"
« on: May 18, 2019, 05:47:15 pm »
So this evening I was out shooting my 60# black walnut flat bow and some cane arrows fletched with the Turkey feathers and sinew. I do not claim to be the best archer but I do practice quite often and the odds are if you shoot enough you are liable to do this . All that being said today I "Robin Hooded' a hand made semi primitive arrow with a handmade semi primitive bow from about 15  yards . I have been shooting a bow since I could walk and this is the first time I have done this with a traditional style bow. Needless to say I am proud

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Selfbow "Robin Hood"
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 07:30:38 pm »
That's why I don't shoot groups but pick a different spot for each shot.
Is the arrow repairable? Sinew wraps are pretty strong and can sometimes keep too much damage from happening when hit by another arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 07:33:25 pm »
 I only think it's cool when it's your friends Arrow and you can laugh in his face after you do it.

Offline Floridaarcher

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:35:05 pm »
Both arrows are repairable the arrow that was hit would just need about a 1/4 inch removed then sinew wrap it so strag it didn't even split just mushroom till it hit the wrapping at the base of the knock and the top arrow that hit is is in perfect condition but I may leave them stuck together and hang them up in my shop

Although it is cool it hurts to see all that time and material wasted

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 10:04:14 pm »
Now, you get to do it again!  It is a rare feat even if unintentional!  Congratulations!  Have fun with the repairs, and keep shooting good!  (SH) >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Floridaarcher

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 06:29:53 am »
Now, you get to do it again!  It is a rare feat even if unintentional!  Congratulations!  Have fun with the repairs, and keep shooting good!  (SH) >:DHawkdancer

Honestly hope I don't do it again. I'm just glad it wasn't one of my obsidian points although I think it may have survived they are surprisingly strong
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 09:27:05 am by Floridaarcher »

Offline Lefty38-55

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 11:20:10 pm »
Congrats! I on the other hand think that's AWESOME and the 2 arrows locked together would be displayed over my archery bow holder. I too once split a nice self-nocked/footed arrow I made and that's just one of the 'Robin Hoods' in my collection, less the other arrow escaped damage free.

Once witnessed a double 'Robin Hood' during an indoor Winter league, amazing it was!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 10:29:24 am »
Such occasions, while rare, do make for some neat photo opps.
Even using thread as nock reinforcement has saved my arrows.
I'm with Paul on this one . . . it's MUCH cooler when the robin hooded arra is a buddy's.   >:D
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Lefty38-55

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 10:38:31 am »
I'm with Paul on this one . . . it's MUCH cooler when the robin hooded arra is a buddy's.   >:D
But to my way of thinking, that was purely an ‘accident’ ...

Whereas if I am aiming at a spot and shoot multiple arrows and score the Robin Hood, then yes there was still an element of ‘luck’ involved, but the setup for the opportunity was due to skill!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 11:40:47 am »
If you can Robin Hood 2 or 3 times in a row, meaning to do so, it's probably not luck. Most times is is just a coincidence...and it can be expensive.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2019, 12:46:46 pm »
I would think that for it to be an official "Robin Hood" that the first arrow would have to be in the 11 ring. Since that's where we aim an arrow hitting anywhere else is just random.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 01:29:47 pm »
Sorry for your loss. Good flying consistent arrows are worth their weight in gold.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others