Author Topic: Draw Knife Build along - from Old saw blade and basic tools  (Read 13355 times)

Offline globalmark

Hi Guys
thought few people interested in How I make some of my Tools , for woodworking and Bow Building (being a engineer, cabinet maker - i have made a few basic tools over the years) - not a blacksmith but can use old steel and rework them ..
this is a small Drawknife i made this week - as the 2 i have already are a bit big for doing refined bow work..

Old saw blade found in the hedgerow - broken i should think maybe 80-100 years old and is definitely Hard steel - I didn't photo everything But have most steps here so if someone wants to make one they probably can -

1. Saw blade as found
2. Made template from thin MDF - to help scribe around
- I actually Cleaned Blade with wire brush on drill and sanding disk on angle grinder before next stage - forgot pic but you can see blade cleaner
3. Used a 4.5" angle grinder with thin metal cutting disc - and scribed/ cut small section then moved and did on other place - was SUPER careful not to overheat the blade - i stopped ALOT drop in water - also just sponged water on cuts every once in a while dried then carried on cut
4. Basic shape cut - now made small cuts to get to the curve.

Offline globalmark

Re: Draw Knife Build along - from Old saw blade and basic tools
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 09:49:09 am »
Used the pliers to actually snap off the small pieces of blade - shows me its pretty hard

5. more fine cuts - then rounded with grinder and finished with FINE metal file
6.Shape cut out - take off burrs and flatten bottom a little on oil stone
7.use bench grinder - put angle on - just roughly copied angle on other drawknife (looks similar to chisels 15˚ i think approx)
8.drop in water bath A lot - keep cool

i alternated between grinder and water bath for maybe 30mins to get edge - was slow going but wanted a good shape and not overheat at all .

Offline globalmark

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:55:45 am »
Also used Belt sander for flattening , cleaning - but this didn't take much metal off - so used the bench grinder mostly -
I did also have a 40 grit sanding disc on my 4" angle grinder and used little but prefer the bench grinder as was easier to put blade in water often ..

time for the Handle - had old table leg - think its walnut ? just made length 12cm as looked comfortable for my hand - used table saw and cut slot in centre so the Handle metal part sat central in the wood and a little short of the full length

Bit old Plumbing pipe for the ferrule - cut with angle grinder then polished on bench grinder (wire wheel)
polished ferrule and wood

Offline globalmark

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 10:02:05 am »
Basically held ferrule approx placement - tapped with hammer to Mark the correct size to cut the wood
pencil marked the depth also and cut a square collar on bandsaw

Put in Vice the Knocked the corners off with Rasp and file till had tight fit with ferrule

Didn't photo but 5min epoxy on the ferrule
Then I cut some strips of Purpleheart (leftover from Bows) to fit the saw blade slot ready to glue in when glued blade in -
pic shows glued in blade and purple heart strip glued in at same time clamped in Vice (pushed in purple heart tight to the metal)

glue dried - measured where want Pins

Offline globalmark

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 10:06:25 am »
drilled pin holes to help Hold Handle - this was Harder then thought - started with small Bit lots Oil to keep cool but blade was harder then thought
but got there in the end - took a few drill bits ..

decided to glue strips in the end also hide the table saw slot -

all glue dry (5min epoxy used) - used my Rasp rough out handle shape (have a lathe and good with it but not set up since moved, annoying have to do by hand) a 5mins on the lathe or a hour or 2 by hand .

after rasp - file smooth and sand with some course paper

Offline globalmark

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 10:11:43 am »
Pins - I just used Nails - round ones I had tiny bit smaller then Hole - Hammered in without glue - cut off ends 1-2mm longer then the handle and hammered while holding on the Vice (bend over the ends)

picture is of completed (but before put pins in )

- needs final sand and putting some oil finish on - but didn't bother sanding that well left some dents and scrapes and sanding marks as will quickly get damaged anyway as i use my tools a lot .

the blade is sharp already but will need final sharpen with fine oil stone then I Hone on leather with honing paste until blade is shiny and can shave with it

any questions or comments post below ..-

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 10:55:23 am »
 :) Nice job
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline globalmark

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 11:35:56 am »
Thanks Del

should be a useful collection to my tools - this has a 6" blade where all my other ones are 10-12" blade and even though have a lot control felt a small one would be useful ..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 11:40:32 am »
Well done!   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline globalmark

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 11:54:44 am »
Thanks PAT

I also cut out 5-6 different carving Knives - basically for carving not bow making but bit think a couple might be useful doing arrow plate inlays and things like that - big saw blade so can make lots tools out of it ..
i used to do lots woodturning and make chisels from leaf springs sometimes for that ..

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 12:44:24 pm »
Nice one! It looks old. I've been keeping my eyes open for a suitable piece of steel but I haven't seen one yet.

Offline globalmark

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 02:13:08 pm »
Yes - there was a few old buildings totally collapsed not far away - abut basically a pile rubbish with trees grown all around so must have been there for year , actually the rest of the saw is there also - was a pull system - probably run from a steam engine in its day -
so NO carbide tip blade or anything just all probably high carbon steel - will rust easy i am sure but hard enough -
lots old junk around in the UK hedgerows etc - My family used to have small bit land in countryside and often found weird stuff buried ..
Blade was also snapped in half - how that happened No idea ..
So yes Old
can use a Modern tables Blade - even heard those diamond tipped concrete saw blades - builder use to cut walls or cut slots in roads when they wear out people just throw them out - so maybe contact a concrete cutter or builder or road worker see if have old blades they dont want ..
old Pull saws also good - we get them occasionally at car boot sales or estate sales cheap ..

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 02:24:19 pm »
Is the steel in the blade of diamond and carbide tips any good? I seem to have asked this just a few minutes ago ;D ;D

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 02:24:53 pm »
wow! what a transformation! I love it! looks like something you would get from an antique shop!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 09:10:23 am »
Very nicely done. :OK