Author Topic: New bow New arrow  (Read 3231 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
New bow New arrow
« on: April 23, 2019, 06:43:18 am »
Wow it has been quite awhile since I tuned a new length arrow to a new bow. I have been making my arrows with the same spine, length and point weight for awhile now. I shot 30" arrows because I just liked how they flew and had put a lot of time into bareshafing and getting good arrow flight. You know if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Well I've been making shorter bow and my draw length is only about 24". I just finished a 48" static recurve bendy and a 30" arrow just doesn't seem right. I made a river cane shaft 26" long. Sinew wrapped both ends. Cut self nock in with hacksaw blades and fine tuned them with file on my ever present leatherman. Then I took a 6" pole barn spike. I cut the head off  and slide it in the hollow front of the river cane shaft. I marked stiff side and put it against my bow. I shot it bareshafted and it showed weak so I cut some more off the pole barn spike and tried it again. After cutting spike down a couple I found the sweet spot. I put a little tight bond on the spike and put it in the shaft. I put my Bjrogg markings on and fletching. Shoots really nice but the spike ran into node so the whole arrow is still a bit longer than I'd like. Maybe the next one. It's been awhile but here's what I came up with
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: New bow New arrow
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 06:48:05 am »
Nice BJ but I think that the arrow is too blunt where the tip meets the shaft. I feel like it needs more of a taper to the metal tip.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 06:54:31 am »
It's still a little long with the point sticking out but It'll work. Here's a picture off full draw bareshafting
Bjrogg
I know what your saying deerhunter21. Dbar always uses double headed nail and cuts one head off. I've made em like this before and haven't had any problem with shaft or point in my targets but I'm sure they could cause problems in some. Should probably get myself some double headed nails.

PPS some of you have probably seen this picture already
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 09:53:10 am »
Nice bow & arrow BJ.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 11:20:30 am »
Nice job!  Btw, the 20p doubleheader nails weigh about 150 grains before grinding, +- a few grains, usually!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 06:38:21 am »
Nice work as always BJ.  Love that bow and arrow combo!

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 02:21:54 am »
Nice combo Brogg.