Author Topic: Pine for compound arrows?  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Mafort

Pine for compound arrows?
« on: May 20, 2019, 12:22:28 pm »
I’m assuming I want the most dense stuff I can find right? I know the asiatic archers used them but I’m not sure if they’re good for compound shafts

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pine for compound arrows?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 03:47:12 pm »
Are you talking about arrows with multiple parts(foreshaft, etc.) or arrows for a wheel bow? I wouldn't suggest using any wood arrow with a wheel bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mafort

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 06:10:14 pm »
Arrows with a foreshaft

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08:08:24 pm »
I've only made one fore shafted arrow I think. It was hill cane with a viburnum foreshaft. The purpose for a foreshaft is so you can retrieve and shoot the same arrow over again by replacing the foreshaft that went into the prey. I think pine work just fine although a heavier material would be more durable.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 06:54:06 am »
ideally foreshaft should be hard wood... foreshafts are also easy to make and can save from having to build a new arrow after impact.. they also and I find this more useful..aids in FOC of shaft.. cane is very light being hollow... adding the weight to front of shaft aids in shoot-ability ... arrows fly better and penetrate deeper...gut

Offline Woodely

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 08:43:49 am »
Are you talking about arrows with multiple parts(foreshaft, etc.) or arrows for a wheel bow? I wouldn't suggest using any wood arrow with a wheel bow.
Why not I know some that have used wood on Compounds.  Just make sure they are properly spined.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Mafort

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 09:31:31 am »
ideally foreshaft should be hard wood... foreshafts are also easy to make and can save from having to build a new arrow after impact.. they also and I find this more useful..aids in FOC of shaft.. cane is very light being hollow... adding the weight to front of shaft aids in shoot-ability ... arrows fly better and penetrate deeper...gut

I was talking about making the pine the main shaft of it all. I should’ve specified that. Reason I ask all this is because I have a John Strunk arrow shaft plane that a buddy got me as a gift for helpin him out. So now I don’t have to buy dowels or shafting when I can make my own. I’ve got so iron wood that is fairly straight so I was going to try that too. See how those hold up to some use.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 11:20:45 am »
Poplar works well too. George Tsoukalas has a section in his site for making white pine shafts. Pine makes a pretty good arrow.
I haven'r shot a compound in almost 30 years and even back then wood arrows were not recommended. It's not worth the risk of driving a splinter through my arm or hand.

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 04:30:17 pm »
Back in the day I shot wood out of my compound. They are quiet and are a very fast arrow. My compound was only 45#'s so I saw that as no differant than any other 45# bow. You just need to make sure you have the right spine wood arrow for your bow.

YUP, Pat, I would clear the shooting lane when I pulled on of my wood arrows out of my quiver, lol

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:50:09 pm »
I'm with JEB, didn't know you were supposed to use other type arrows with a wheelie, didn't have any that weren't wood!  Didn't panic anybody though, because I only shot in my backyard!  Never had a problem!  Finally got some aluminum arrows a few years back at a yard sale.  I think most of them now have feathers, don't much like plastic!  They are in the arrow bucket - the real arrows are in the quiver >:D (lol). Got a different backyard now, but we're only 2 miles from the range!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry