Author Topic: how much tip movement..?  (Read 8771 times)

Offline Badger

Re: how much tip movement..?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 05:53:38 pm »
I my bow making has way down but I still make at least 50 or 60 archery bows a year I do it on every single one of them it doesn't matter if it's a reflex deflex a recurve a straight bow that works on all of them the same

Offline willie

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 06:38:48 pm »
Steve,

you seem to prefer a tillering method where you hold off bracing longer than most. Perhaps you could comment as to what the advantage may be for you?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 06:45:14 pm »
If you have a modern bow,it maybe helpful to flex it on the floor to give an idea of the proper resistance for a given weight.placing a towel down first may be a good idea also .
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline airkah

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 07:21:14 pm »
Not to question Weylons experience but can anyone else explain/corroborate  what he has seen in his bow making?

My process is very similar to what Weylin described, I've never measured or kept track of tip movement. I spend a lot of time using my fingers to feel the thickness going down the limbs and scraping wood to get it as even as possible. My fingers are much better than my eyes at identifying small variations. As I'm going I'll check the relative weight of the limbs either putting weight against a limb on the floor (usually the grass) or pulling the limbs with the handle braced across my knee to make sure they are even. When I'm happy with where I'm at there, I can go ahead and brace the bow, and I'll usually only have some minor scraping to get the limbs even at brace and I'll use my fingers to look for weak/stiff areas. I started out using the long string a lot when I was tillering, this process just kind of developed over time and seems to work for me. Your results may vary.

I don't think I would recommend doing what I do as a way to start out, and I can't imagine being able to teach someone how to do it through forum posts.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2019, 07:35:55 pm »
Learning to eyeball your floor tiller may take some time,but it's a skill worth learning .touch,feel and visual aids will go a long way!trust your instincts.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2019, 09:06:50 pm »
Steve,

you seem to prefer a tillering method where you hold off bracing longer than most. Perhaps you could comment as to what the advantage may be for you?

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 09:09:08 pm »
Steve,

the simple answer is I don't think my method does hold off longer than most I think I just know exactly where I'm at would I String it I like to string it about 12 lb heavy. Using this method of knowing where you're at which we should always know anyway I can build any weight bow I want you're not have any concern about coming and underweight the first time

Offline Woodely

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 11:10:01 pm »
I my bow making has way down but I still make at least 50 or 60 archery bows a year I do it on every single one of them it doesn't matter if it's a reflex deflex a recurve a straight bow that works on all of them the same
"50 or 60 archery bows a year"  what ya do with all those bows. 
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Weylin

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 06:51:31 am »
Not to question Weylons experience but can anyone else explain/corroborate  what he has seen in his bow making? It really makes no logical sense that I can see, of course i dont know what I'm doing.

If it works I guess it works. Paul

I don't mind being questioned at all, I question myself all the time.  ;D It can be hard as a beginner having a bunch of different ideas thrown at you all at once. That's one of the cool things about this craft, there's more than one way to skin a cat. All of these variations that people are describing are just different ways to get the bow braced with a good tiller and still be above final draw weight so you have some wiggle room to perfect your tiller. It's hard to convey all the detail in a forum post. If you're interested in learning more about how I do it I have some in depth videos on my you tube channel. I can't post links here but you can search for Swiftwood Bows on youtube and you will find it. I'm also happy to try and explain it here. What part wasn't making sense to you?

Offline paulc

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 10:12:31 am »
Hey All, so I have read through again for about the 4th or 5th time...and I think I actually am doing things like both Slimbob and Weylin who I think are working in a fairly similar fashion.  I  think now it is Badger's comments about measuring draw weight/length with the long string that threw me.  I overlooked his point about starting the measurement for draw length/weight from where the string hangs-not the back or belly of the bow... It never occurred to me that I might be able to take a measurement from anywhere but the bow.  And it never occurred to me (on the single bow I have made :-) to worry about draw weight until late in the game.  I was just focused on getting an even bend and not breaking the bow.  I started checking draw weight fairly late in the process.  Which is why I was asking about tip movement cause I couldn't of anything else I could measure to know if it was safe to brace or not...

Thanks so much y'all.  Super helpful to me! I hope to have time this weekend to work on the current hickory stave that is 75% done.  I'll be sure to post pics and more questions. 

Peace, Paul C

Offline Badger

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2019, 10:45:30 am »
I never said start the measurement from where the string hangs I said read the measurement just as if it were brace no different

Offline Badger

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2019, 10:51:19 am »
It is so easy I think it is confusing people you're not measuring drawer late sooner than usual or later than usual or gracing the boat sooner or later than usual you just have more accurate control over when you brace the bow all you have to remember is that the boys will read just about the same brace tour unbraced a short short string or a long short screen it doesn't make much difference if you break him and all that you read them just where you want to read them it's the same you don't allow for anything you don't allow for how long the string is you just read the weight at 24 or 23 or 28 what is braced you're launching it doesn't make a lot of difference if you want to brace the bowl when your target weight at 20 in embrace it and 20 in

Offline Weylin

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2019, 11:37:50 am »
I think your autocorrect got the better of you on that last post, Steve.  ;D

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2019, 11:58:04 am »
I laughed out loud....Not at the tillering advice, obviously...
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline paulc

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2019, 12:44:44 pm »
If either of you want to translate what he said... :-)